More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Boogie To The Music

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of old music, old being stuff no older than 30 years. I listen to music a lot, while I'm driving, when I'm at work for the most part, when I'm home on the computer or on my ipod. Therefore, I exhaust my music collection quite quickly. I tend to be one of those people who keeps listening to a new album non-stop for the first week. If I'm still listening to an album after one week, then that album is generally quite good in my opinion. A lot of pop albums tend to be so generic that they get boring after a day. The worse are some of the R&B albums where every song sounds so similar.

Having listened to virtually every album in the charts at the moment, I've started to listen to old music from the 70s, 80s and 90s. The 70s was the era of disco music, with lots of very fun tunes that you can't help but tap your feet along to. The music is not monotonous and is generally light and fun. I love the bouncy beats the most.

Music from the 80s was definitely the start of the power ballads and the rise of the great bands. A lot of those bands are still around now and extremely popular. I can't remember when I first heard many of the 80s tunes since I was still young then, but I must have heard them here and there because a lot of songs are very familiar and I even know the words to them. Usually I can sing the song but don't even know the name and artist.

Music from the 90s is definitely from my era when I was growing up. The 90s is when R&B started to really take off. I know many of the songs and have associated some of them with events that have occurred in my life. I clearly remember a lot of the songs that I danced to during my high school years.

People always comment that music is sort of like bookmarks in your life. A song can mark a certain time in your life, and hearing it years later may trigger memories of that time and usually happy events that relate to it. Music also has such a way of lifting you up when you're feeling a bit down. When I feel bored or a bit unhappy, usually hearing a nice happy tune will help make me a bit happier.

"Let this groove, get you to move,
Its alright, alright
Let this groove, set in your shoes,
Stand up, alright"

10 Comments:

Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Old Aunty Choo prefers oldies like songs by Elvis Presley, Cliff Richard, Engel Humperdick, Bee Gees, etc.

Like you, I love listening to music when I drive or when I am at the computer!!! I never tire of listening to the same songs.... though my neighbours and people around find me irksome!!

7/26/2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger M. said...

Music to me is my companion when no one else is there to absorb my worries; possessing a marvellous knack for empathising with me when no one else can; and being able to inspire and instigate change.

7/27/2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger chookie said...

oriental express - i'm a choo as well! hehe sorry just had to share that with you :)

7/27/2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Trev said...

No doubt, rnb and hip hop was like a definition of cool to me when I was growing up. I'm not into it as much as I used to though- they are still hot beats to dance to n stuff, but I just get bored of listening to songs about the same old thing all the time (money, gangsters, girls, booties, weed, basically anything that only requires an IQ of 5 haha). I've said to my friends before, they just don't make the music like they used to. rnb music like jodeci, boyz ii men (in their glory days), joe. I rekcon the good rnb stopped around 1999.

But now I'm getting into lotsa rock. I'm having a huge powderfinger phase at the moment and I reckon they are the coolest band. And yeah, I'm also into old music too...80s stuff is awesome hehe

7/27/2006 11:16 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Have a look at this bit of writing on music - your post reminded me of it.

http://www.howies.co.uk/content.php?xId=82&xPg=1

7/27/2006 11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the stuff about bookmarks, definately can identify with that. Some songs take you back to these phases in your past which you really enjoyed, a bit like photo albums... which noone really has the time to go thru these days.

Also, r n b music is the best, if it ain't got the doof doof it ain't worth listening to...

7/28/2006 11:01 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Choo, I've heard of the Bee Gees and Elvis songs, but never heard of Engel and Cliff's music. I never tire of good songs either.

Michelle, music really is a great companion for many moods. It's amazing how powerful music can be.

Kae, is your surname Choo? Choo's name isn't really Choo, you'll need to read her blog to find out why or you can ask her yourself.

Trev, I'm with you. Listening to a lot more rock now too, especially older rock stuff. And of course I'm listening to lots of 80s music too.

Miss Meep, that post about music is so insightful and true. I love the last line, "Life. Now Playing." That is so clever, I think I'll use that as the slogan for another t-shirt.

Anonymous, it really is like a photo album for your ears, brain and heart.

7/28/2006 8:02 PM  
Blogger M. said...

Superb, your comment about R&B going on the rocks circa 1999, I completely agree with.

My older brother's vast collection of 90s R&B provided such a comprehensive and impressive showing of how great old-school R&B really was. Back then, it was largely inspired by classic Motown, whereas today's R&B is just way too commercial, totally neglecting the original and classic R&B that was so apparent decades ago (even from the Marvin Gaye era).

7/30/2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger Trev said...

You said it Mish. Temptations were also a wicked group

Oh, and one of my all time faves to add to that list of hit 90's rnb artists is Blackstreet and 112 (not as good these days)...how could I forget them!

Well, here's to music getting better in the future!

7/30/2006 5:52 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I love Blackstreet too. No Diggity is so catchy with that "do do do dum dum dum" piano bit.

7/30/2006 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home