More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Blogging Is So Therapeutic

I have to say, this blogging caper is a really good thing. Its such a great therapeutic tool. Whenever I have any problems or worries, I can generally write them down and it seems like a weight is lifted off my shoulder. Instead of me thinking about a situation for a day or two, instantly after writing it, it seems that all is well again and I forget about the problem altogether, and that's the honest truth.

I think the advantage of writing your problems online is that sometimes you just want to voice the problem and not necessarily get an answer, or want the other people to know exactly what its about. For example, you may tell a friend your problem, but this may cause them to judge you differently, they may try to give a solution or they may not be interested and you are forcing them to listen. Instead, readers can decide whether they want to read a blog or not, they can close it anytime. You also get varied opinions and support from people all over the world, who you sort of know but not really (shout out to Afrobev for his continual support and comments).

Now that I feel great again, especially after the shower, I'm off to meet a friend for dinner. Hopefully there will be more happy posts in the future rather than slightly depressing therapeutic posts, as useful as they are.

8 Comments:

Blogger afrobev said...

I think blogging is that and more really. It's like you purge yourself of all the little irritating things that are bugging and once you've written it, it ceases to become something you worry about. You no longer feel burdened I suppose by that particular issue and once you've blogged it. It's gone! But not forever because you can always look back on your archives and laugh at the thing you found compelled to write about a month before. I love blogging.

4/21/2006 10:52 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

You hit the nail right on the head James. It just feels like once I've written it down, all those worries just disappear. Any yes, as you pointed out, sometimes when I read back on my own posts I do laugh and ask myself why I wrote that. It sometimes also serves as a reminder to myself to remember certain things that I should or shouldn't do.

Actually my manager said that keeping a journal is a great way to reflect on your life, even if you just write mundane things. A few years down the track, those mundane memories become much more precious, because sometimes its the ordinary things in life that make it great. He said that he had wished he kept a journal when he was young because now he can't remember a lot of the things that happened. He also pointed out that mundane things that people wrote two hundred years ago now hold so much interest to historians. So maybe two hundred years later someone might dig up my blog and say what strange and funny lives people lived back in 2006.

4/21/2006 11:54 PM  
Blogger afrobev said...

I hadn't really thought of it like that. But I suppose historians probably could look back and see what we got up to in a few hundred years time. I think it's also mad that it connects two people from the other side of the World, to the point where we are communicating through blogs. Can't get my head around it at all.

4/22/2006 9:18 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

It is strange how the internet and blogs have made the world so much smaller. I don't think I would have ever met you if it wasn't for your blog initially. But I'm glad that I've met another person who I can talk to.

I would go as far as classifying you as a friend, of course not a close friend, but a casual friend nonetheless. As I wrote in Recipe For Good Friendship, friends can take many roles, and even Internet friends can serve a purpose. Although we may interact less with our online friends, they can still provide us with something we want, or else we wouldn't bother talking to them anymore.

4/22/2006 11:28 PM  
Blogger afrobev said...

Thanks Thanh. I consider you a friend too and I think it's probably fate that we stumbled upon one another's blogs. Long may our blogtastic friendship continue and that we keep entertaining each other just by writing about our daily lives.

It's nice to sit back and read something and be detached from it but at the same time I suppose it affects you in a way because you have a relationship with that person (if you know what I mean?) and you are concerned with their happiness. But blogging allows you to have a sort of input, no matter how small in that person's life.

Im telling you I could go on all day!

4/23/2006 9:22 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I know what you mean, its not quite as personal because the words are not directly targeted at you but yet after reading so much about someone, you do feel for them and whats happening in their lives. Such as your story about your illness really did make me sad and I truly wish you a total recovery.

I'll look forward to your input anytime of the day. :-)

4/23/2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Yes, blogging is a great therapy. Writing helps one to relax.... this is why as a teacher of English and Literature, I have always encouraged my students to write... writing for mental health as well as sharpening the wit!

Keep on blogging!

4/27/2006 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogging does jack for Fat Do.

He stil comes over with his snotty rags hogging the TV and whining like a little girl about how he's work only pays him half of Sol Trullio's wages.

2/18/2008 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home