More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Movie Review: Cinderella Man

Cinderella Man is actually a story about boxing, you wouldn't have picked it from the title. It's a story about real life boxer James J. Braddock, played by a very different looking Russell Crowe. I could hardly recognise him at the start and during various stages in the movie.

The story of Cinderella Man is quite simple. It is as the title references, a fairytale of sorts. Braddock is a fighter who goes from his lowest point in life where he has to basically beg for money, to being boxing champion of the world. The story shows the various stages of Braddock's life through all the hardships during the depression to when he starts winning fights. Braddock's wife Mae is played by Renee Zellweger, who I really like as an actress. She always puts in a solid performance, but in this movie, she plays second fiddle to Crowe. I see why there was so much talk at the time of Crowe winning the Oscar for this role. He is very convincing and does a great job portraying the different emotions of Braddock. Too bad Crowe's real life image isn't so good, and probably was the reason that he didn't get nominated after the telephone throwing incident.

The film captured me for most of it. Even with its very simple storyline, it is inspirational to watch. And the fact that its a real life story of course adds to the effect of the movie.

Overall Rating: *** out of 5

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a good movie I agree. I thought it was a bit predictable but of course it is a true story. If only Crowe was a real champion in real life.

***1/2 stars out of 5

4/14/2006 6:24 PM  
Blogger PF said...

I loved this movie. There was a scene which touched me tremendously. Crowe was borrowing money from a roomful of people. When he approached Paul Giamatti with his overturned hat he said to Giamatti "I'm sorry...", to which the latter replied "What the hell do you have to be sorry about?" I nearly cried... :-(

4/15/2006 12:08 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Yeah that scene was really good. I loved the scene where they go to his house and find no furniture, that was a funny lighter moment in the story.

4/15/2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger PF said...

Haha that was hilarious. All of them sitting at a small table and the lady still making tea :P

4/15/2006 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanh nearly cried throughout the whole movie. I have the boxes of Kleenexes and the bin full of his snorty rags.

4/17/2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Don't lie Kin. The bin full of snotty tissues is true, but that was from my slight cold and not the movie so lets get that fact straight.

4/17/2006 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home