More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Movie Review: V for Vendetta

The first I had heard of V for Vendetta was that it was where Natalie Portman actually shaved her head for the movie. Also in this movie is Hugo Weaving, although we never actually get to see his face. Weaving plays V, a superhero of sorts who is out for revenge after being scientifically tested on to create a new super virus.

The movie is by the Wachowski brothers, adapted from the comic books about V. The movie is in their usual style and a bit strange but the cinematography is very stylised. The explosion scenes are spectacular and so well choreographed to go with the music. The fight scenes are Matrix like.

The movie is centred around V. He was the only surviving person from the Governments experiments to create a biological super virus weapon. The testing gave him heightened reflexes and extraordinary strength. V is on a vendetta to get back at all the people who were involved in him being experimented on. He kills them one by one with the primary target being the Chancellor Adam Sutler. V also has another motive, he wants to restore Britain back to happier days. He wants the citizen of the country to stage a rebellion against the totalitarian control of the Government, who have come into power via unsavoury methods.

V meets Evey (Natlie Portman) when he rescues her from some thugs one night. Evey turns out to be linked to V via her parents. I won't spoil the movie by revealing how but their lives are constantly intertwined.

V for Vendetta is a good movie with the viewer having to work to understand the story. The dialogue, especially of V is very sharp. I also liked the emotional connection between V and Evey. I also love the mask that V wears and want one. The masks also play a big role in the movie.

Overall Rating: ***1/2 out of 5

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I quite like this movie...did have to work very hard to understand the storyline. Thought V was Evey's father. No doubt the mask will hit the shop very soon!!

4/02/2006 8:04 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Initially I though V was Evey's father too. There are still a few things I don't understand though, did the other guy who made the egg breakfast for Evey, the little girl on the street, the lady the V had a shrine for, did they all die? Because I saw their faces at the end of the movie? I think I need to rewatch it when it comes out on DVD to fully understand it.

4/02/2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger afrobev said...

I like your movie reviews Thanh. Have you ever thought of being a journalist for Empire Magazine? More Thanh A Movie you could call it.

4/03/2006 7:55 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Firstly I would love to be either a food or movie reviewer James. Secondly what is Empire Magazine? Thirdly More Thanh A Movie is a great title, works on so many levels.

4/03/2006 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

watched V for Vendetta recently, eye-candy effects, amazing how much character they developed into a mask, astoundingly honest.

2/21/2008 8:42 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Hi Patrick, it was really good how emotive the mask was.

I see you are a movie fan. I must go through your reviews.

2/21/2008 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home