More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Review Part 1 By Kin

The follwing review of the game is written by my friend Kin. Stayed tuned for future installments as he gets further along in the game.

NOT PLAYING THE GAME, LIVING IN IT
A personal review of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion by Kin

Part 1: Brief Introduction

Where to begin? Should I give a brief run-down of what this game is about, who developed it, or what other people have said about it. No. Anyone can simply go on a website and read the hundreds of reviews and articles to find out what they want to know about this amazing game. Game? I wouldn't just call it a game. It's a life experience. It's a virtual world. It's the opportunity to do almost anything you desire in an open environment with almost no boundaries and no rules. There is just enough time for me in the world to even comprehend how remarkable this piece of gaming software truly is. But I will try to tell some of it.

Just imagine. Controlling a character. A character you don't just pick from a list at the start of the game, but a personal custom-made male or female person. And it may not be a person. The player can choose from 10 different races. The human (or other) character's face can be customized too. He or she can be fat, handsome, old, young, anything! He or she can be anything from a good hearted warrior to an evil tyrant. His or her physical, mental and magical attributes are also varying factors.

Oblivion is a game. There is a main quest (and hundreds of mini-quest). A storyline that you must follow in order to complete it. However, there is much more than that. I have played this game for over 24 hours in total and I am nowhere near finishing this main quest. This is not because I am slow in killing the enemies, finding the lst treasure or rescuing the young princess. One of the main beauties of this game, apart from the STUNNING graphics (see pictures below), is the fact that there is just so so so much more to do while you a taking a break from your adventures or your missions. I can spend hours exploring the vast world.

There are 8 main cities which all play a part in the overall story. There areas cover a countless number of other sites such as caves, camps, towers, dungeons, etc. I could be riding on my horse and travel all around the open road and explore or revisit these far away places. I could buy and sell the many treasures, weapons, books, food, jewels to the many merchants. I can even sell them something as trivial as a pen or a piece of paper for tiny amount of gold. I can break into someone's house, kill his wife, steal his pots and pans, and other nonsense which plays no part to the story but rather how people treat you. I can spend a fair amount of time just causing mischief with the local law authorities. I even have the chance to take them all when they try to take me down to fine me or send my a** to jail. It is just an open sea of possibilities here. Words cannot explain it. Only by spending hours glued to your mouse and keyboard would it be truly appreciated.

This concludes my first submission. My next topic will be about the combat system and buying houses.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great game. Fantastic reviewer. I'm gonna buy my copy right now.

4/04/2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Yes the game does look very good and sounds very interesting. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of complicated video games, Kin keeps saying its so good so I might even give it a try myself.

4/05/2006 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home