More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Intaxification and Relocation

Intaxification (n): the feeling of euphoria that settles over you just up to the moment you realize that the refund you're getting back was your own money to start with.

I've been really busy this past week and haven't gotten round to blogging as much. Firstly it was a fairly stressful week at work for me. Usually I'm very relaxed about work, but with an approaching deadline for some work, I must admit that I did feel a bit more tense. I don't know whether it was the large amounts of chocolates I ate or the stress, but I did break out with quite a few pimples. I suspect its the stress since eating chocolates doesn't normally give me pimples. I also suspect it was the stress that drove me to eat all that chocolate in the first place. I'm usually very disciplined and will only have a small piece, but I was eating it by the handful.

In the past week, I've also been working on the new blog "I Eat Therefore I Am" and trying to get that up and running. Its quite hard to organise things when all you co-contributors aren't even in the same state or country as you. This means that emails get sent out and there's at least a one day turnaround time. In this day and age, anything where you have to wait for more than half a day feels like an eternity. I'm one of those fairly impatient people and like everything instantaneous. I send out an email, I like to receive a quick reply. I send out an sms, once again I like an even quicker reply.

This week has also been a mess since I will be moving house this Saturday. This has meant that I have had to try and change over all addresses on everything. And you know how long you have to wait to get through to an operator with the utility companies. Then instead of everything being nice and easy, they ask you to go and get meter numbers, phone line locations, turn off the electricity power etc etc. Anyway, everything is nearly done and I'm looking forward to moving into the new house.

Finally to top it all off, I did my tax this week as well, so that I could get it out of the way and pack all my documentation away ready for the house move. Doing tax is stressful enough as it is, but to have a million other things going on just increases the stress. This year I did my tax over the internet for the first time. I must admit that it was actually quite easy and fast. I would recommend it to other people to try it out. According to the program, I will hopefully be looking at a tax refund of 4 digits. This made me very happy when I lodged the form. I was overcome with "Intaxification", until reality settled in and I realised I was getting my own money back. Oh well, it was money that I had forgotten about and it's still nice to get it back. :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger chookie said...

haha at least you've done your lodgment and all :) im still stuck on the "verify your identity" lol..

I updated my profile in the food blog! Hurrah!

And moving house is always crazy, but also very exciting once ur in the new place :) Hope you have fun attempting to make it your "home" :)

8/03/2006 1:36 AM  
Blogger M. said...

haha Kae, I was stuck on that 'Verify your Identity' bit for two weeks! Then I got off my bum and called up the ATO and had it all sorted. Fingers crossed I will see that refund sometime this week...

Thanh, what a VERY stressful week. "They" say moving house is one of the most wearisome things in life, and I unfortunately had to experience that when I moved house recently (well, a couple of years ago) so I feel your pain.

p.s. the term Intaxification is very amusing haha.

What's everyone doing with their refund? I'm still contemplating spending it partially or saving the whole lot.

ppss. awesome job on I Eat Therefore I Am, by the way!

8/03/2006 1:53 PM  
Blogger chookie said...

mish - i think i might use my tax return to pay a year's worth of gym fees upfront.. saves the hassle of the 70/month issue! :)

I like to think.. save a bit and spend a bit :)

8/03/2006 8:17 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Yeah moving house is a bit crazy. Why do you have to verify your identity? Are you doing the e-tax one. As long as you have done a previous tax return, it was quite easy.

Mish, if I get back what was estimated, I'm going to finally buy an LCD monitor after saying I would do so for months. I'm also going to buy a foosball table. It's such a fun and addictive game.

Thanks about the food blog. Hopefully you and Kae will be contributing to it soon.

Kae, I read your intro, very funny about the lychees thing. You got the food gene from a very young age. But I bet you can't beat my story. I was 1 years old running towards my dad who had bought a meat bun and was waving it at me. I tripped over the ledge along the doorway and cracked my forehead, requiring 7 stitches. Now thats loving food for you. Hahahahaha.

8/03/2006 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home