More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

You've Been Google'd

If Ashton Kutcher can invent the word Punk'd which is described in the Urban Dictionary as getting fooled in a practical joke, I'm going to invent the word Google'd.

Google has become such a part of everyone's lives that it has gone from a noun to a verb. Today I was typing a report and even though I wanted to type the word goggles, as in eye protection goggles, I rarely type that word and instead my fingers ended up typing googles. You will hear the phrase "Go Google that" or "Have you searched on Google yet" so often now. Even Bart Simpson thinks you should Google things before asking stupid questions.

Anyway I know you can already use the word Googled as in searching for something on Google. However my word has the following meaning

Google'd: The search term used by someone to find your blog.

I have a stat counter on my blog which also tracks referral sites that people use to get to your blog if they don't type the address directly. It often amuses me looking at the Google search terms that people use and then find my blog. Below is a list of search terms that have led people to my blog as shown by my stat counter. Some are from my memory as the counter only keeps limited logs, so I might not get the exact phrase but you get the idea.

Current search terms still in the stat counter log

  • Bold Head People - I've just realised that I mispelt BALD as BOLD in my original post. I will fix that up.
  • All Hacks Thanh Maal - A fortnightly newsletter that I write for our indoor soccer team.
  • Mobile Phones Necessity Nuisance - Many variations of this but always with the terms Mobile, Phones, Necessity and Nuisance. Who would have guessed people would use that exact term as me.
  • Sint Yel - This is part of the lyrics to the Numa Numa song.
  • All Hacks Thanh
  • Seamus O’Toole Irish Pub - My review of the food at a local pub.

    Terms from the past

  • Cure Bald Head - That made me laugh and other variations not involving curing bald heads but just bald heads in general.
  • Asian Women Bad Drivers - And many variations such as Asian Bad Drivers etc.
  • La Paella - Again many variations such as La Paella Sydney Road which leads to my restaurant review.
  • Kimchi Grandma - Restaurant review.
  • Ocean King - And variations including Ocean King Glen Waverley all leading to restaurant review.
  • Seamus O'Toole - And lots and lots of different variations such as Seamus O'Toole Irish Pub, all leading to my pub review.
  • Numa Numa Lyrics - Or just parts of the lyrics which lead to the song lyrics.
  • Mahjong For Beginners - And variations such as Three People Mahjong.
  • Computer Swap Meet - Which leads to my article about my local swap meet.
  • Aussies Bad Sports - Ay article about the Aussie cricket team.
  • Namaskar India - Or just Namaskar which again is a restaurant reviews.
  • Jana Pittman Drama Queen - This was hot around Commonwealth Games time and got lots of hits especially with the bust up between Jana and Tamsyn.
  • Paintball Skirmish - That was heaps of fun, you should all try it if you haven't already.
  • CSIRO Diet - Lost 4 kgs with that diet, I've got all the info you need on the blog.
  • Tilt Photography - Make scenes look like minatures, Photoshop technique works quite well actually.
  • Buying Houses In Oblivion - A game review my friend Kin wrote. All the searches for that have been about how to buy houses in that game. Must be a hard thing to do so people want help.
  • Nokia A Decent Factory - A TV program showing how poor the working conditions in China are.
  • Ying Thai - Another restaurant review.
  • Robin Wickens Immitation - The chef who copied dishes from other high profile chefs.

    One of my favourite search terms was something along the lines of "Winter Olympics Torino Learning Origin Of Philosophy And Cultures Due To The Use Of Language". I have no idea what that person was searching for but they arrived at my blog since I had written a post about the Winter Olympics. The restaurant reviews definitely get the most hits on my blog from being Google'd. Surprisingly, to me anyway, Seamus O'Toole review is one of the most popular search terms for my blog. Another one that gets quite a lot of hits is Asian Women Bad Drivers. Must be a lot of disgruntled drivers out there who have possibly been at the receiving end of some Asian Women (and Men) Drivers. Oh well, what can I say, I'm sure there are bad drivers in any culture, it just happens that Asian Women are rightly or wrongly stereotyped as the worst drivers. As you can read in my original post, it doesn't help when people like my aunties buy their licenses and help to support that stereotype.

    Many other search terms will also get you to my blog, such as using my name Thanh. However, since there are a million Thanh's out in the world (who would've guessed), you need to be more specific. Terms such as "More Thanh Words", "Thanh Do Blog", "Thanh Geek Enginner" and "Crouching Thanh" will get you to my blog.

    So have you been Google'd lately. What were the search terms that people used to get to your blog?

  • 4 Comments:

    Blogger afrobev said...

    Funny how you should say that Thanh. Ive got a counter on my site too and the last 'Google Search' which referred to my blog was a search for Professor Poopsnaggle lyrics? Bizarre.

    6/08/2006 9:07 PM  
    Blogger thanh7580 said...

    Thats really funny. I just Googled "Professor Poopsnaggle lyrics" and your blog came up as the second link. The post that contains those words is your "29 THINGS I WANT TO DO BEFORE I TURN 30!" post.

    So you've just been Google'd by me. :-)

    6/08/2006 9:23 PM  
    Blogger afrobev said...

    That explains it. It was you! I won't ask why you were looking for Professor Poopsnaggle lyrics though Thanh. Brilliant!

    6/08/2006 11:03 PM  
    Blogger The Oriental Express said...

    What a coincidence, Thanh. I was just thinking of writing an article on how people found out my blog address.... hilarious! Will write an article on this sometime
    next week. These days, I am busy with tomorrow.sg, working on our petition for Ik See to study in Curtis.

    Cheers.

    6/11/2006 7:51 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home