More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Soccer…Oops Football: Australia vs Greece

Firstly the whole soccer versus football debate. I’ll just weigh into to it and say, why not call it football like the rest of the world. Yes we already have a “football” code in Australia, but that’s referred to as Australian Rules football or Aussie Rules or AFL. If you live the New South Wales or Queensland, football probably means Rugby League. Even then the Rugby Union purists say that Rugby League shouldn’t even be called rugby, its an insult to the name. Since all the other football codes have another more accurate name, why shouldn’t the game of soccer be called football in Australia like the rest of the world.

Secondly the game yesterday between Australia and Greece was heavily publicised in the media, but when it came down to it, really didn’t mean much. The fact that Australia won 1-0 is great (too bad Emmanuel and John) but had Australia lost, there would have been excuses that they were using the game as a World Cup preparation. Greece having stunningly and unbelievably (I gave my work mate John odds of 1-100 at the time, thankfully he declined or I would have been broke) won the European Championships, do not have that aura of a great team yet. Their win in the Euro Champs was great for them and sport, a rags to riches tale, but they have been unable to back that up by qualifying for the World Cup. The real test for Australia will be when they play a “friendly” with the Netherlands. The Dutch team have also made it into the World Cup and will be taking the game very seriously as well. They will be using it as a full scale dress rehearsal for matches in the World Cup. You don’t want to take losing form into such a big tournament. You want to start using these friendlies to get as match tough as possible.

Australia is a much improved team under the guidance of Guus Hiddink and will give the Dutch team a good challenge I think. Hiddink has done great work previously having taken the Netherlands and South Korea to the final stages of the World Cup. With his first attempt guiding Australia, he has done what no other coach has been able to do for Australian football for more than 30 years and guided the team to the World Cup. The Aussie team has become much more disciplined and that has paid off. Unless you are ultra talented like the Brazilian team and have so much skill and flair, you have to play tight and look for your opportunities. And as they say, attack always starts from defence. So if you can get your defence right, you can play on from there.

Realistically, Australia is in a pretty tough group in the World Cup. They will most likely lose to Brazil, but if they can get away with a 1-0 or 2-0 loss, they are still a chance at advancing into the next stage. They will either have to beat Japan or Croatia, which is no easy feat, and at least get a draw from the match that they don’t win. However, being the optimist, I will predict (and hope) that Australia will make it into the second stage of the World Cup.

Go the Aussie Football Team...the Socceroos hehehe :-). Looks like the team may have to change their nickname if they want soccer to be known as football. But the Footballroos just doesn’t sound right.

Above: The joyous Socceroos after John Aloisi scored the penalty to get Australia into the World Cup.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck to the Socceroos in Germany! We are all looking forward to the World Cup. I think the socceroos got a very good chance of making the knock out stage of the competition.

5/26/2006 7:27 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

You can help support the Socceroos Stan. I believe there isn't a Welsh team and I'm sure you don't want to support the English, so join the Aussie brigade and support the Socceroos. I hope that get to the second stage at least. It will make the whole World Cup even more interesting for me. There might be some sleepless nights and low productive days at work though.

5/28/2006 12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate to admit it Thanh, but I'm an English supporter when it comes to football. Reason being that I'm a massive supporter of Liverpool FC, and few of my players will be playing for England!

Sorry, but I wish the socceroos all the best!

5/30/2006 12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, for Aussie, We don't expected too much from the Socceroos but we are so proud of them. Compare to other countries which has a great Soccer history such as England, Brazil Argentina etc.... This time they have done a great job

5/30/2006 4:56 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Thats ok Stan. I'm supporting England a little too, just because they always seems to get bad luck during World Cup. I just thought that other parts of UK hate England. Even the Scottish tennis player Andy Murray says he is going to support every other team that plays England.

The Socceroos have done a good job this time, lets hope they can make it past the first round.

5/30/2006 5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah you're right about other parts of uk hate England. It's sad really, and it's not just football, it happens with rugby as well.
But it doesn't help when you get people like Andy Murray saying what he said.

5/30/2006 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I'm excited too. I can't wait to stay up late at night in my new house watching the Aussies getting creamed!
LONG WEEKEND HERE I COME!

5/31/2006 3:50 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I can't wait to stay up late at my friends newly bought house too and watch the Aussies kick some butt in the World Cup.

GO THE SOCCEROOS!!!!!!

5/31/2006 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home