More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Internet Addiction

As I mentioned previously, I'm going to be moving house soon. As the phone line doesn't exist yet in the new house, this may mean that I might not have internet for a few days or maybe a few weeks. Who knows?

I'm already not looking forward to having no internet. I wouldn't say I'm addicted to the internet, but I do rely on it heavily to occupy a lot of my time. That isn't to say that I have nothing else to do or want to do. I choose to surf the net because it provides so much.

I love to write on my blog and to read people's blog. I usually spend between 30 minutes to an hour reading blogs each day. It's just something that I do now. I like to read what people (who I sort of know through their blogs) have done that day. Or what their opinions are on a particular topic.

I also like to read the news on the internet. Instead of purchasing lots and lots of newspapers, I can now pick and choose which articles to read among a variety of newspapers. I think the internet has increased my awareness about news items rather than the other way round.

I also use the internet to read about interesting things. I go on forums and find outs whats new in technology or food, two of my favourite topics. I also will look up a lot of varied topics that I talked about during the day, or a link from a site that leads to another link etc. Wikipedia has been a very good site to learn a lot of things. It's so up to date and full of very interesting topics that you can learn the basics of, or more in depth by following all the various links.

Finally there is email and instant messaging. I like to send emails, ask anyone I know. I like to keep in touch with people. Just because you're far away doesn't mean you can't keep in touch with people nowadays. I also use instant messaging to talk to friends. Rather than alienate me from society, instant messaging has actually helped me to keep in touch with a lot of friends who I may see a lot less of if it wasn't for instant messaging.

I guess my fall back plan for no internet is to either go to friend's houses and use theirs for a hour or two. The other option is to eat my lunch at my desk at work and use the internet there to do the basics such as check email and blog hahahaha. Or there is option 3, which is not use the internet (*gasp* I can hear all the fellow bloggers holding their breath in shock) at all. This would probably give me more time to watch many DVDs that I own but haven't got round to watching or to finally finish my philosophy books. I'll give the no internet thing a go for a few days. If my hands start itching from no keyboard to type on, I'll be going to some friends houses to "visit" them.

10 Comments:

Blogger afrobev said...

I know what you mean because it is easy to get addicted to surfing the net. Especially in the blogosphere. I don't know what I would do without it for a few days...but a few weeks would be unbearable!

8/04/2006 2:21 AM  
Blogger Jiggles said...

I know what thats like when i moved house, Stan kept our computer and i had to buy a new one first I had to wait until I got the cash and then I had to wait to get the things for the internet its not nice. I am glad I am not going through it again. You realise how much you rely on something once its gone

8/04/2006 3:40 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I will see how I go without Internet for at least a week and TV for a few days possibly. Its very true Karen, you never realise how much you rely on things until they're gone.

8/04/2006 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant go thru a day without switching on my computer! This come a close second to me not having my mobile phone....Haha!

8/05/2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Well its official. I will be without internet at home for 5-8 working days. I hadn't checked my email for 3 days but when I checked my email, nothing was really that urgent anyway that it couldn't wait the three days. So usually when I check it everyday, maybe thats more from habit rather than need.

Chloe, I haven't missed it as much as losing a limb because I've been so busy moving that I just forgot about it. As for the mobile, I with you Stan, can't get along without it.

8/07/2006 12:24 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Mama mia! I thought I had posted a comment, but it never appeared. As usual, always so blur where computers are concerned.

Thanh, can you please help me to post our food blog as link on my oriental express.

I used to be computer phobic; now I can't live without my computer!!

8/07/2006 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you need a girl friend....

8/07/2006 5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use a wireless laptop and see if there is any unsecure network around !

8/07/2006 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done without computer for extended periods without any side effects... or withdrawal symptoms (like in summer holidays when the good weather helps keep you busy)... but then again, being fixed in front of computers all day at work these days means any break from them is very pleasant.

8/08/2006 3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
I think you need a girl friend....


Impossible! No girl would want to Do if she knows she'll be his next article.

PREDICTED DO BLOGS TITLES:

1. A female is sorta different
2. Second uses for the bed
3. Women can be quite complicated Parts 1, 2, 3.....

2/18/2008 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home