More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Socceroos Show Fighting Spirit

Dare to dream, because sometimes dreams do come true. I have always supported the socceroos, even in the tough times when we didn't qualify for the World Cup, but boy does it so much better when the times are good. Each time that I felt that a game would be the defining moment for the Socceroos, something would go wrong. However, this time, the fairytale couldn't have been scripted any better.

Australia qualified for the World Cup after being 1 goal down in the first leg of qualification against Uruguay. Then in their home game, Bresciano slots through a beauty to level it all up. The match goes down to penalties and Australia come through after Schwarzer makes two unbelievable saves.

We're off to the World Cup, only to find that we're in the same group as Brazil, the best team to ever play football. However, this has given the Socceroos a chance to prove what they are made up.

The first up match against Japan was always going to be tough. Japan are Asian champions and made it into the quarter finals at the last World Cup. The match see-sawed between both teams at the start with each having chances to score. Just as Australia looked to be dominating, a goal was scored against play by Japan. It wasn't the goal that made me mad, it was the way the goal was scored. The Japanese defenders clearly bumped Schwarzer and impeded him. Having said that though, I think keepers, and Schwarzer in particular, has to be more decisive in his decision making. If he's going to go out for the ball, he needs to get there and hit that ball regardless of what players are in his way. I was so angry about the goal for a good 20 minutes. The fact that everyone in the stadium could see it was a foul except the Egyptian referee was a joke.

To Australia's credit though, they didn't let this goal faze them and they kept attacking. The Socceroos of old would have cracked and just become completely disorganised. What has been said of Hiddink in the media seems to be very true. He has been able to manage the players very well and make them believe and become a disciplined team. The Socceroos stuck to their task and I always believed they had it in them to get a goal and force a draw. But little could I even dream what would happen next.

With about 6 minutes left in regular time, the freshly substituted Cahill showed that what he did against the Netherlands was no fluke. He again latched on to a loose ball in the goal square and slotted it through 3 pairs of legs for a famous equaliser. I was already jumping off the couch at that stage and shouting like a mad man. But more was to come. Only minutes later, Cahill this time struck one of the cleanest balls you will ever see straight into the inside of one goal post and the ball ricocheted to the other post. Australia was acutally now in front and on the verge of winning their first ever World Cup Finals match. But good things come in three and John Aloisi, the hero from the Uruguay qualifer, once again got into the act. A piece of fabulous solo play put a third goal on the board and Australia completed one of the best comebacks ever.

The win has definitely made everyone believe that Australia can go further into the tournament. How they go against Croatia will probably be the deciding factor as to which team makes it to the next stage from Group F. However, one can also dream some more and maybe there's a chance the Socceroos can go even further in the tournament. Till then, I will savour this magical moment and rewatch the replays over and over. It still gives me goosebumps everytime I watch the goals.

GO SOCCEROOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Above: Tim Cahill scoring the first of his two goals.

Above: Tim Cahill celebrating his goal with Lucas Neill.

3 Comments:

Blogger afrobev said...

What a game! I must admit I was delighted when they hit three in the last eight minutes. Not only because of Harry Kewell playing for them but also because they dominated the game in my eyes and thoroughly deserved the result. Go on Socceroos! Very important win for them that. I reckon they could go quite far to be honest with the type of 'never say die' attitude they displayed.

6/14/2006 6:08 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

To score three goals in 10 minutes is quite amazing. I hope they don't have to produce that every game and can be in front and win. It will give my heart less of a work out. :-)

6/14/2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

I know nothing about football. So I won't comment on anything except to thank you for helping me to put in Xiaobai's photo in the profile.

Kamsiah. Xie xie!

6/16/2006 12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home