More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Let There Be Television

It’s day 5 into my no Internet, no TV rehabilitation. I’ve finished moving house over the weekend, and things are starting to slowly return back to normal. During the first night after the move, my sleeping arrangement consisted of a sleeping bag, a pillow, a heater and my philosophy in science books.

The house was a mess with boxes and boxes of stuff everywhere. I was really annoyed when after everything was moved, the box which I had specifically packed last since it contained items that I would need immediately had “disappeared”. My phone charger was in that box and I was panicking that I wouldn’t be able to charge my phone. Luckily, Nokia chargers are interchangeable and I used another charger. After three days of searching around, I found my box of things in the LAUNDRY cupboard of all places.

Five days later and now I also have a bed and my computer setup. When I instinctively clicked on Internet explorer when I fired up my computer, I was shocked to find that the Internet was not available. Only then did I instantly realize I would have to wait another 5-8 days for a new connection. This means I have had to upload this post from work, breaking my own rule of never blogging at work. I guess I’m not technically blogging at work since I have written this post at home. All I’m doing is just uploading my work.

Yesterday night also saw another “miracle”. Having gotten really desperate and bored with no Internet or TV, I thought I have to do something about this. After all “Necessity is the mother of Invention”. I rang up my aunty and borrowed her interior TV antenna. I connected it up and voila, I had TV. The reception wasn’t perfect but it was still good enough for me to watch my Monday night Grey’s Anatomy. Now I just have to move the TV onto the cabinet so I don’t have to sit on the floor and watch it. Hahahaha.

Things still to do to get back to the good life
*get external TV antenna hooked up
*get more phone outlets around the house for Internet and phone
*buy a wireless modem or router (still deciding which option since my modem still works fine) and setup wireless network for Internet
*get Chinese cable satellite moved from old house
*hook up the 3 VCRs, DVD player and stereo system to the TV

6 Comments:

Blogger Jiggles said...

Isn't it amazing how much you take for granted. I'm glad you are finally getting there. I for one know moving house isn't fun I moved in at the beginning of April and I am still finding things.

I hope you like you new home x

8/11/2006 6:41 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Yeah I didn't know it was so much stress. I thought you just pack your stuff, move it to a new house and unpack. All the other issues of getting utilities, making changes to the house etc is such a pain.

8/11/2006 2:45 PM  
Blogger Trev said...

Phwoar...so much stuff to sort through! Good luck with it, hope ur not overwhelmed!

I'm not looking forward to this next year! crap!

8/11/2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

It has been a little bit overwhelming but now that things are starting to settle down, I'm starting to really enjoy the house. Having Internet again has brought some normality back to my life.

You're going to be moving interstate Trev so I think you will probably pack very lightly. It will still be a very traumatic experience so try to be as prepared as possible beforehand in terms of organising where to stay and furniture etc.

8/12/2006 6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust me.

This house was 1000 times better and more valuable b4 fat Do moved in. Snotty rags chucked around the joint is a great recipe for house depreciation.

1/29/2008 9:35 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous, well booze spilt all over your house is not helping it appreciate either.

1/30/2008 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home