More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

YouTube Bought By Google

So I think everyone probably already knows that YouTube was recently bought by Google for an absurd 1.6 billion or something like that. Well this made me think of two things.

The first is, why didn't I think of doing something like YouTube. Hasn't that thought crossed your mind before. It doesn't have to be YouTube in particular but just some simple idea that pops into your head one day and makes you a multi millionaire. The internet seems to be the fastest way to becoming an instant millionaire nowdays. Look at the guys from Google, a simple search engine and BAM, you're worth 30 billion. Ideas such as ebay, an online auction, how obvious is that, Flickr, somewhere to share you photos, again, so obvious have found so much success. Why haven't I thought of some simple thing that everyone wants or needs and become an instant millionaire. When is my moment of inspiration going to hit me. Or has it already hit me but I have failed to realise it.

The second thing about the sale of YouTube to Google was that Google plan to make money from this venture. Currently YouTube don't earn any money I think, but the plan is to have advertising on YouTube. So they may make you watch a 30 second ad before you can watch the actual video. One market analyst has said that buying YouTube is a decision of a moron. He doesn't see any way to make money from it. I wouldn't entirely agree. I would keep watching YouTube videos even if I had to watch some ads beforehand. It all depends on how many ads. If I had to watch an ad before EVERY new video I watched, I would be watching less videos and only clicking on a few popular videos. I remember the soccer world cup where every match replay video that you clicked on the world cup webpage meant you had to watch another ad was very annoying. Luckily, if you just let the videos play in sequence, you only had to watch the ad once, which I could live with so I just played all the days videos in sequence. I'll wait and see what happens with YouTube, but in the mean time, I will enjoy watching clever entertaing videos such as the Battle of the Bands one below.

2 Comments:

Blogger afrobev said...

Has YouTube sold its soul? It might just lose its appeal now its been swallowed up by a huge conglomerate. Just a thought.

10/23/2006 4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fat and Stupid Do,

Google's search engine is unique and built on a search algorithm which has proven to be more effective than the others. So it's not so "SIMPLE", it took these the two founders some real thinking and personal investment before they could launch it on the Internet.

If you did the same thing on your pathetic excuse of a website you call Gotek Enterprises, i'm sure you'd get some pretty surprising results in your business.

Just looking at it now makes me wanna puke.

2/20/2008 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home