More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

He Who Holds The Remote...

"He Who Holds The Remote, Holds The Power"
I think that should have been the catch phrase in Lord of The Rings instead of "The One Ring To Rule Them All". The TV remote control is such a powerful tool in any household I think. What would we all do each night if there was no TV to watch?

I know that in Australia where the population is so sparse, there is literally nothing to do at night once you get home from work. Unlike in Asia when I was on holiday, the streets were still filled with people at night. Two factors make this possible. The first is that there are so many people so that shop owners still find it viable to stay open which attract people to go out. The second factor is that the warm weather attracts people outside as well. It's definitely a different lifestyle than to here. The closest that it gets to that in Melbourne is along streets like Lygon and Chapel where there are many restaurants and people congregate on Fridays and Saturdays. My friend John constantly comments that he would love to move back to Greece because of the lifestyle there. People go outside at nights to the cafes and sit around and drink coffee while philosophising about the world. Sounds like something I could get used to hahaha.

Back on the topic of the remote, I remember that when we were younger, my sister and I would fight for the remote all the time. Nowadays, there are multiple TVs in the house so there is less of that, but occasionally we both still want to watch the main large TV in the lounge so there is some arguments. Back when we were young, whoever physically held the remote controlled what was watched on TV. I was usually the one holding the remote and would have on the sport or some action movie. She would want to watch some other film and there would be arguments. I was also one of those "channel surfers" and would switch between channels during ad breaks. I just couldn't stand the ads and would flick to other things and watch a few seconds of all the shows on other channels. This would annoy the heck out of my sister and she would tell me to stop changing channels.

I read some study recently that generally its the men in the house that takes control of the remote and determines what gets watched. However, now with multiple TVs and the internet, wives and kids have found other outlets to enjoy TV without having to watch what the dad wants to watch.

So who holds the remote in your house and makes the decision on what to watch each night?

8 Comments:

Blogger chookie said...

We dont really have a remote hog, but one thing we do have is a teevee that doesnt turn on unless it is controlled by a remote (stupid hyundai)

Most annoying thing ever.

10/01/2006 2:14 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Haha, well I have a similar problem with my tv. The on/off button is a bit stuffed, so I have to find the vcr remote that can also control the tv and use that remote to turn it on and off.

10/02/2006 6:06 PM  
Blogger Liisaa said...

Oh god! My bro flickers as well, and when he comes back to the channel we were initially watching, we've already missed 2 minutes of an impartant part of the show. Hence is the reason I yell at my brother.

10/02/2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger afrobev said...

I must admit to being the chief remote holder of the house and I tend to watch what I want ie football etc.

But then my girlfriend doesn't watch much telly. When she does want to watch something she does though without any fuss, so I suppose all is fair.

Having Sky Plus helps though :)

10/05/2006 7:23 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Lisa, I must admit that sometimes when I flicker, I get into the other show and forget to turn back and then miss a few minutes of what I was initially watching as well, which annoys the heck out of my sister.

I guess having another person who doesn't watch much tv does minimize the fighting for the remote James.

10/05/2006 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man ! You need a girl friend....

10/06/2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I'm looking, are you going to help me anonymous, or is that Mr New Father????

If you are who I think you are, you will be too busy to help me look hahahaha.

10/06/2006 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Fat Bastard truly is a remote hog. It's one thing to dictate the TV in your own house and piss your family right off!! It's another to do it at someone else's place when you are the guest.

I would very much like to see your sister jam 5 slugs from a magnum into your chest while your sitting your great big ass on the remote.

1/31/2008 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home