More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Baby Birds

A small bird had decided to build a nest amongst the vines growing on my fence. I didn't particularly think that was such a great location since it was very low to the ground and the neighbours cat could reach it quite easily. However, I'm happy to report that the baby birds grew up safely and flew away.

Here is a photo of the baby birds when they were just hatched. They still hadn't opened their eyes and were all pink and featherless.

The mother bird is definitely a very patient bird, sitting on the baby birds nearly 24 hours a day. It only left the nest for 10 - 20 minutes each day to gather food for itself and the baby birds.

After a few weeks, the birds started to grow feathers and could open their eyes.

After I came back from my holidays, they were gone from their nest. The cycle of life continues for the little birds. It was a pleasure to have witnessed the hatching and growing up of the birds each day. That must be how parents feel when they see their kids grow up, but with even more passion.

9 Comments:

Blogger chookie said...

whenever I have birds in my backyard, i get frightened and refuse to leave the comforts of my home.. I keep thinking these birds will turn violent and kill me out of protective instincts :S

1/27/2007 3:43 PM  
Blogger afrobev said...

Awww. It may not be a very manly thing to say but thats really cute. Bet it makes you feel at one with nature eh?

1/28/2007 7:24 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Kae, that's quite a strange fear. I don't like walking near those huge crows or magpies since they might peck me but I don't think they will be able to kill humans. Having said that, I have my own paranoid fear of mosquitoes where even the slightest feeling that there is a mosquitoe around will make me try to kill it before it bites me.

James, the birds were very cute, especially when they had their heads up chirping to be fed. It does make you feel closer to nature in our suburban jungles.

1/28/2007 10:45 AM  
Blogger Trev said...

In China, they would get eaten! hahah ok not really

very nice though

What species of bird is it?

1/29/2007 5:43 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Well you never know what they will eat in China. Actually in Vietnam, there's a very famous dish which is duck eggs where the hatchling has begun to grow in the egg. So you eat the egg with the duckling inside as well as the yolk and white. It's eaten with salt, pepper and mint. It's actually a delicacy. I used to eat it when I was young but nowadays I can't do it.

I have no idea what species it is, I'm not good with my bird species.

1/30/2007 11:37 AM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

You are a good photographer, Thanh. You can be a naturalist too!

Hope to read more of such articles.

Australia is teeming with so oooooooo many animals and creatures! You lucky and blessed people!

1/31/2007 12:45 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I am ok photographer. The law of averages means that if I take enough photos, there is bound to be a few that are good. :-)

Australia definitely has a lot of animals. There are so many birds in my backyard flying around each day. Must try and take photos of them all.

1/31/2007 9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell everyone the truth you fat Do.

You ate those birds after you took those 'amateur' photos.

Those red marks on his face ain't zits, they are bird peckings.

1/29/2008 9:27 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous, hahaha ok you've busted me. But you said it was good too.

1/30/2008 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home