More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Do You Floss Before Or After Brushing?

The million dollar question is not what the meaning of life is, but whether you floss before or after brushing. After my most recent dentist visit, I have enviably been looking after my teeth after the dentist told me how much plaque I have. Usually I brush and floss twice a day for a few weeks after visiting the dentist before I become lazy again and start forgetting to floss and only brush once a day. This time, I hope to keep brushing and flossing twice a day until the next dentist visit next year.

However, one day I was flossing and the philosophical dilemma of whether to floss before or after brushing popped into my mind. When you have questions of this magnitude, where does one turn in these times, the internet of course, and more specifically Google. A quick Google search and it turned up with divided opinions.

Here is an excert from a website

Periodontists are about equally divided on whether you should floss before brushing or brush before flossing. Taking into consideration that flossing may carry bacteria and food particles below the gum line, it is probably better to brush first to reduce the food particles, bacteria, and foreign matter that can be transferred below the gum line by the floss. The argument for flossing before brushing is based on the idea that the fluoride in toothpaste can only strengthen teeth by coming in direct contact with the enamel. Removing the plaque by flossing can expose the enamel to the beneficial effect of the fluoride in toothpaste.

Looking at more and more sites just kept coming with the conclusion that some people floss before brushing while after floss after brushing. For me personally, I have decided to floss before brushing now instead of after like I used to. My reasoning for this is not so the toothpaste can get to that area, it's more so I will floss. When I was flossing after brushing, sometimes I just forgot or got laser and decided not to do it. But if I floss before brushing, I will always brush my teeth so hence it means that I will also have flossed.

So what is your opinion on this weighty issue. Should you floss before or after brushing your teeth. I think as long as you floss, that's better than not flossing. To floss before or after, that is the question.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonno said...

Floss before brushing I say... It seems like its doing more when you see bits of food on the floss which might disappear if you brush first...

2/06/2007 10:32 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I know what you mean Jonno. When you see bits of food stuck on the floss, you think "At least this floss is doing something, so I'll keep using it."

2/07/2007 6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most important question is whether to floss before or after you give head

2/29/2008 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well you i decided that before is better. I used to be an after person. You lossen bacteria then brush away or wash away. I hear that germs can return when you floss after brushing.

I guess it is like cleaning. you lossen than brush and wash away. How can germs on the floss be transfered to the gumline if you roll the floss on your fingers? You roll the floss on your fingers mainly so you do not transfer germs. Make sure you use a mouthwash though

12/29/2008 3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home