More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Clothes Maketh The Man

Clothes maketh the man is a common espression about how appearances count for a lot. We dress up differently for different occasions and situations. Unless you are a very confident person and feel ok to wear anything, most of us will dress "appropriately" for the situation. The level of appropriateness will still vary according to the individual.

Today, I had to go into the city for a meeting. I was dressed in my wool black suit and looked quite sharp I thought. It was a strange feeling, both negative and positive. On the one hand, I rarely need to wear a suit, so was slightly uncomfortable since it is something foreign. I'm an engineer so can get away with just wearing a button up shirt to work. The suits at the company are the sales and marketing guys, always dressed up to the max to impress clients.

So putting on the suit meant I was slightly uncomfortable since I rarely have to wear one. It was made a bit worse when I was on the train as I really stood out from the rest of the non-peak hour crowd. But after a short period of time, I relaxed and felt really good in my suit. Clothes really do maketh the man. What we wear can really affect our own confidence. When I am wearing something that I think makes me look smarter, more authoritative, thinner, more attractive, I definitely act differently to when I am uncomfortable with what I wear.

I tend to be very casual with my clothes and wear jeans and t-shirts most of the time. I know that when I'm in my work clothes, I feel more confident even when I drop by the supermarket afterwards. I think it's the feeling that I am dressed for success already makes me think more highly of myself. So when I was in my suit today, I walked with an air of confidence after my initial awkwardness.

It's a pity in a sense that modern society with has become so relaxed with attire. We rarely get the chance to dress up and boost our own sense of self slightly. I've started to wear a nice shirt to restaurants as it feels good to wear good clothes. I'm still not at the stage where I want to prance around in a suit unless it is necessary. And as much as people may argue about how you shouldn't be defined by how you look externally, it is still a vital part in many situations. You might not be able to change your face structure, but you can change your clothes. We all get judged on first impressions and conveying the right message through our clothes is vital.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should play GTAIV and you'll understand how important your attire can be.

With you Fat Do, it's not the Clothes Maketh The Man, it's the Hygiene and the Hair Cut that would HELP make the Man (boy).

6/12/2008 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Today, I had to go into the city for a meeting"


How did the job interview go? Need a reference?

6/12/2008 1:24 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous, I'm sorry but I don't have heaps of money to buy GTA IV. I'll have to trust your word on it.

My hygiene is very good thank you. And my hair cut was for charity at least, what's your excuse for your lawnmower cut. Don't tell me you got it cut cheap at Parkmore?

Xtralis Management, a reference is always appreciated.

6/12/2008 8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And my hair cut was for charity at least"

We rather be poor than look at your unsightly bald head.

6/13/2008 6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

argghhh good. No one to argue against.

6/13/2008 6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Anonymous, I'm sorry but I don't have heaps of money to buy GTA IV. I'll have to trust your word on it."

This cost $79.95 at Big W, yet you send hundreds at overpriced dinners and hentai DVDs.

Don't give me BULL!!!

6/13/2008 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So when I was in my suit today, I walked with an air of confidence after my initial awkwardness."

You went to the interview with the Job Agency in a suit. You IDIOTTT!!! You only do that when you actually see the potential employer. Job agencies couldn't care less if you rock up in your normal work clothes.

Everytime I go to these places, I'm in construction gear.

6/13/2008 3:17 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous 2, it doesn't hurt to project your best image at any time. The recruiter will assess you as well, so why not put my best shiny leather Llyod foot forward.

Why do you go in your construction gear, are you auditioning for a place in The Village People part 2?

6/14/2008 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fat Do,
I'm intrigued by "Xtralis Management" and "marina"'s comments :) .
Unfortunately pimps (sorry.. "recruiters") expect you to to appear to them in exactly the same way that you will interview. Remember, you are providing the recruiter with perhaps an ongoing source of income. If you turn up to the Pimp interview with bad hair, serious body odor and psychotic tendencies, then they have to skim the gene pool again :)

7/04/2008 10:06 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Thank you Anonymous, hence that's why I turned up nice and neat and presenting myself in the best possible light, and shoes.

7/05/2008 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"hence that's why I turned up nice and neat and presenting myself in the best possible light, and shoes.
"

Too bad you couldn't do anything about the hair and face

7/07/2008 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home