More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Old School Days

I've been chatting, or more accurately emailing with an old friend from high school and uni days. It's amzing how much things change, and yet also how little things change. This person used to be one my good friends, but yet we sort of drifted apart during uni and eventually even lost touch. But as fate would have it, we've once again met up.

I'm going to meet this friend soon for dinner just to catch up. But from our email chats, it's like no time has passed in one sense, and also like a lot of time has passed in another. A lot has also change in terms of our lives, but there are still some constants, which are the shared memories that we have of our old school days. We both reminisce about the good old days (we must be getting old) and how much fun it used to be. We discussed why we sort of drifted apart and it's just due to people moving on. But now that we've met up again, I think this time we will keep in touch for sure.

Back when you're at school, you get thrown together with other kids that are your age. You will be friends with some just because you are constantly in the same environment. It's after you leave school that your friendships get tested. Once you change geographical locations and also meet other people in the big wide world, it's when you really know who you friends are. Having said that, sometimes you stay in touch with people who really aren't your friends, but that is extremely rare. I, for one, would not actively seek to communicate with people just for the sake of it. Why waste time on people you don't care about when you can use that time for people you do care about.

But sometimes, like in this instance, we just drifted apart without realising it. Only after you realise the lost do you fully understand what you let go. However, the lesson is to not let it happen again.

One funny thing that has come out of our email conversations is gossip about our old school friends. It turns out that a lot of people didn't get along. It's strange how the bleeding obvious is so hard to pick at the time. The saying about how it's so much clearer when you're not involved in something is so true. Now that we are wiser, we can look back and really see who the real friends were. The others just happened to be there due to circumstance. Apparently, there was a lot of fighting and bitching that went on that I didn't know about. It happened less with us guys than the girls, but it didn't mean we were all friends. I haven't kept in touch with all my old high school and uni friends because I've realised that a lot of them never were my friends. I actually find some of them to my disliking as I've gotten older and seen them for what they are.

I've carried my slightly tougher stance of people at work. I can't even be bothered wasting my time talking to fake people at work. I don't need them to like me. I will be civil to them and work with them, but apart from that, we just happened to be chucked together for a moment in time doing a common task for money. There are some people at work though that I do feel are real friends and who I will give my attention to. So far, I've gotten to know quite a few of them for a number of years now and I still like them, so that's a good sign that they are friends. Whether I will still keep in touch with them when I leave this job is unknown. I suspect I will keep in touch with a few of them.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's time for you to sign up to Facebook. You'll find a lot of old friends there. Go on...sign up....go on...you will love it..

5/16/2008 1:57 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Estnivek, no, I refuse to sign up on the grounds that I will waste even more time doing absolutely nothing rather than doing something at least a bit productive.

5/16/2008 11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"at least a bit productive"

Fat Do, nothing you do outside work is at all productive. The only production that occurs is the mountain of fat and lard in your rectum.

5/19/2008 8:51 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Well Anonymous, removing fat and lard from my system each day is productive. I know I have to do it, don't you?

5/19/2008 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In comparison to removal of fat and lard from your system, Facebook is much more exciting.

5/19/2008 1:20 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Estnivek, it's all subjective isn't it. You may think Facebook is more exciting, but I may not.

So what exciting new things have you learnt from Facebook? Have you had your identity stolen yet?

5/19/2008 3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fat Do,

Although I am with you on not joining facebook, I don't think you should just judge it or make comment about it if you are not part of it.

estnivek believes its great obviously as he/she has joined it and used it. It may appeal to both of us too, but I just refuse to join it simnply because I want to be an individual.

About stolen identities, who are you to talk about that when your blog is full of personal crap about you. Anyone can come your two sites and become Fat Low Do.

5/20/2008 9:52 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous, of course I can comment. It's my opinion about it that has stopped me joining. I may be wrong about it, but it doesn't mean I can have an opinion about it now.

It was a throwaway joke about having your identity stolen. Obviously you can steal my identity if you wish. But I wouldn't want to steal yours with all your debt and all.

5/20/2008 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"but it doesn't mean I can have an opinion about it now."

That's right! Check your grammar next time.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, but not everyone has to show it like you do.

5/20/2008 2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop using my opinions so much.

You cna only have an opinion about something if you have extensive knowledge of it or some experience about it.

It's like me saying "Oh that other company is shit, don't want to ever work there' when I have no idea about it other than just what I hear or read about it.

Mr. Do, though you are entitled to your 'opinions', they are are nothing more than ONIONS if you have nothing to back them up with or demonstrate that you have had done your research on it.

You dig?

5/20/2008 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's my opinion on your opinions.

Shows what you know!

Chow hai!!

5/20/2008 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anyway..back to the topic...Join Facebook.

It can be a very useful tool..and I can backup my opinion!

Carl Williams has recently joined Facebook. Even though he is in prison, people can send messages to him via Facebook, which would then be compiled by his wife and pass them onto Carl the prisoner.

If a murderer has found use to Facebook, I am sure you can as well.

5/22/2008 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

estnivek,

I don't doubt your opinions, it's just Mr.Do's 'Opinions' are set in stone and are always 'Correct'.

Good luck changing his mind.

Regards,

5/26/2008 11:57 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Estnivek, maybe I can use Facebook to start a money laundering ring that pretends to sell electronics goods.

Anonymous, my opinions are not set in stone, but I do tend to stand by them until proven otherwise. They are not always correct, they are just what I think until someone can convince me otherwise.

5/26/2008 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just like how I had to convince my ass off to you about not building your house with asbestos. Your opinion on that stuff was that it was safe and economical.

5/27/2008 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home