More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Core Personality

We say we are changing constantly as we get older. This is true, but at the same time, we really don't change that much. We have a core personality that really doesn't change too much for most people. You can mold that personality to fit into different situations, but when it comes down to it, you will resort to what is comfortable for you.

For example, I will never ever be an ultra confident extrovert no matter what I do. But that doesn't mean have to be a shy quiet wall flower. At work, I have learnt to push myself to speak out and give my opinion. I've also learnt to stand up for myself and back my own judgement. All these things come with learning and experience. Having encouragement from people has also helped me greatly. I'm very lucky at have some great friends and work mates.

Similarly, I've also taken that work confidence and applied it out of work too. I am much more confident when I interact with people who are not my friends. I will never be able to just dominate a conversation with unknown people, but I will put in my opinion occasionally. But at the core, I am who I am, which is a fairly introverted person.

It was interesting to see that the core personality traits of some friends from high school who I hadn't seen in a while were still there. Regardless of how much their lives have changed, I could still pick out the people who I knew all those years ago. Only now do I see those traits much more clearly.

I guess it's only through experience that you can pick people's personalities more clearly. The friends that you have kept in touch with over the years, and who you will keep in touch with in the future, are clearly people with personalities that you like. When I was younger, I thought everyone was a friend. It wasn't until I got older that I started to see very clearly that some people are just rotten and have really bad personality traits. I no longer feel the need to try and be friends with those people and don't bother wasting my time. With age really does come wisdom, or at least a bit more clarity in ones judgement and ability to not be afraid to be disliked.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It wasn't until I got older that I started to see very clearly that some people are just rotten and have really bad personality traits."

That's what happens when you look at the mirror everyday in the morning.

5/26/2008 11:59 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Hahaha, I started to see myself more clearly too. That is true. And there were some things I didn't like so I'm trying to change those things.

5/26/2008 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for one, stop looking in the mirror with your PC and TV in the background

those two things gotta be in moderation

5/26/2008 3:20 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Try to join a toastmasters' club in your area. Toastmasters' club has transformed me from someone shy to someone more outgoing.

It helps in the overall transformation of a person ....all for the better.

6/06/2008 2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home