More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Managing Expecations

When I saw this article in the paper about companies cancelling Christmas, or at least Christmas parties, it made me think of how our expectations drive our perception of how good or bad something is.

Companies don't need to provide a Christmas party, but they do to reward employees and thank them for a year of work. But really, we all get a salary already and the Christmas party is a bonus that a company gives as a sign of goodwill. Goodwill is an intangible assest but can really make or break a company. A good reputation is worth a lot in life and business.

so because we all expect a Christmas party, even though it's not guaranteed, when it gets cancelled, we feel ripped off. Yet, if we were to not expect a Christmas party, and we get one, we're excited. And if we don't get one, we don't feel disappointed.

There's a saying that if you never expect anything, you will never be disappointed. But that in itself is a rather pessimistic way to live life. Life is all about expectations and what opportunities will come our way. Without expectation, human endeavour would be stifled. Without expecting more, we would not strive for more.

Sure, having expectations means you sometimes get disappointed, but when you're expectations are met or exceeded, there is an ever greater thrill. I'm was absolutely thrilled when I recently got some money back from my tax return. Sure, I could reason that it was my money to begin with, but as far as I knew, that money was gone, and now all of a sudden I'm getting some of it back. My expectations was that I wouldn't get any money back, but my expectations were exceeded and now I'm very happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home