More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

DIY Screen Printed T-Shirts

I had been meaning to print my own t-shirts for ages. Since I was sick a few weeks ago, I decide to make use of that day and print my own t-shirts after seeing some instructions on the web.

I was reading Gary Milner's Blog The Milners and came across his t-shirt post. His post linked to his brother Jeff Milners post that contained instructions on how to print your t-shirts. Jeff's post linked back to Craftgrrl's original post which gives even more detailed instructions.

So basically this is what you need.

Materials

  • Pre Washed T-Shirt - You should wash any new t-shirts before printing on them or the design may warp after washing the t-shirt for the first time
  • Screen Printing Paint - I used Pebeo Setacolor paint
  • Non Water Soluble Glue - I used Mod Podge
  • Embroidery Ring
  • Paint Brushes
  • Sheer Curtain Material - I used Tulle. Nylon should also work but the Tulle is finer I have learnt
  • A Design - I edited some images on the computer and printed them out
  • Instructions

  • After printing out your design, put your curtain material in the embroidery ring nice and tight and trace the design using a pencil.
  • Use your paint brush and apply the non water soluble glue to all the areas that you don't want any paint to go on. This means where you apply the glue is where the t-shirt will not get any paint on it. Let the glue dry for a few hours.
  • Line the embroidery ring with the template onto your stretched out t-shirt. Place some paper in the middle between the front and back of the t-shirt so that paint doesn't soak through from the front to the back.
  • Start applying paint to your template by using a dabbing motion. I find this lets the paint go through the best. Be generous with the paint and apply a few layers for good results.
  • Carefully lift off the template and let your t-shirt dry. When the t-shirt is dry, follow the instructions on the paint bottle to set the paint. In my case, this involved ironing the design with some material between the iron and the t-shirt on a medium setting on the iron for 5 minutes. Trust me, you must set the paint or it will fade off a bit when you wash it, I made that mistake the first time.
  • So far I've only done the two t-shirts because the place where I normally buy my plain t-shirts stopped selling t-shirts because its winter now and they're selling long sleeve shirts. Anyway I already have many other designs ready and once I get my t-shirts will start painting more.

    It's extremely easy to make the designs and you can get creative and do t-shirts that reflect your personality and mean something to you. I've shown my geeky side and since I love Star Wars and blogging, have done the Yoda image with Yoda's way of saying "I'm Bloggin This", which is "Blogging This I Am". I'm also into computers so have done a variation on the "Intel Inside" logo most people have on their PC and done an "Intellect Inside" logo. Get creative everyone and I hope to see you all wearing personalised t-shirts.

    13 Comments:

    Blogger afrobev said...

    Hey I would like a Yoda blogging t-shirt. Perhaps you could sell them to fellow bloggers?

    6/30/2006 4:16 AM  
    Blogger PF said...

    Hey, you should do one with your blog name and address on it! :-D

    6/30/2006 11:19 AM  
    Blogger M. said...

    omgosh your tees are awesome!!

    love the intellect one, lol!

    6/30/2006 11:58 AM  
    Blogger Trev said...

    hahahahahahahah
    Very cool mate

    You should you 'more thanh words'...its very clever hehe

    6/30/2006 2:36 PM  
    Blogger chookie said...

    hey that turned ourreally well! love it!

    have u had a look at the craftster.org site? they have lots of screenprinting projects (amongst other things)

    7/01/2006 10:37 AM  
    Blogger thanh7580 said...

    Thanks for the compliments Chloe, James, Alan, Michelle, Trev and Kae.

    As for the More Thanh Words idea, I think I will do that soon.

    James, I don't mind making a Yoda T-Shirt for you as I already have the template. You'll just have to cover the t-shirt cost and the postage. I'll try to find some other place to buy some plain t-shirts and if I can get my hands on some, I'll make you one. What saying do you want Yoda to say? And what's your chest circumference so I know what size t-shirt to buy.

    7/01/2006 3:17 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You sure have some creative talents there Mr Thanh. Now before I launch into a tirade detailing the finer points of how international conglomerates deal with copyright infringments, how would you like to put your creativism into something more meaningful? I see you're involved with a local indoor football team. Do you have a team uniform?

    7/01/2006 6:47 PM  
    Blogger thanh7580 said...

    Thanks Mr Intel Inc Legal Adviser. I think I might pass on listening about copyright infringements. I am involved in an indoor football team and no we don't really have a uniform. We all wear a variety of white tops. However, I don't think I have that much time and energy to make t-shirts for everyone. Since now people can all read how to make them, maybe they can all be creative and make personalised t-shirts for themselves.

    7/02/2006 10:51 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    No time or energy to make simple tee shirts for 5 people? Seems like you have abundant amounts of both when you're supposedly "sick" and not able to go to work.

    7/02/2006 6:14 PM  
    Blogger thanh7580 said...

    Firstly I was sick that day. In between bouts of coughing, sneezing and headaches, I chose to use my time productively and do something rather than moan about being sick. Coz you know how men usually are when they're sick, they need the whole world to know and give them sympathy as if they are dying. I'm one of them too but chose to do something else this day rather than moan.

    Secondly, I can choose to do whatever I want with my time. Why do I have to make 5 t-shirts when I don't want to. Everyone's an adult, they can make their own t-shirts should they choose. So go and start making a t-shirt Mr Intel. :-)

    7/02/2006 10:13 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You're exactly right, Mr Thanh. Everyone has the option to choose whether or not to make t-shirts. Thus I chose not to. I would much rather prepare litigation proceedings concerning copyright infringements. Oh how that delights me, much like how your t-shirts do it for you. Even when you're allegedly "sick" and you want the entire world to know about it (incidentally, these people are generally termed whingers).

    Our advisors will be in contact shortly.

    7/03/2006 9:18 PM  
    Blogger thanh7580 said...

    I hope to hear from your lawyers soon. And when did I whinge about being sick, merely stating it as part of the story of why I had some time to work on the t-shirts.

    Anyway, I hope to see you in an Intellect t-shirt soon Mr Jayman.

    7/03/2006 9:38 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Why don't you make a T-shirt that says why an arrow pointing down saying FREE DONKEY RIDES.

    1/29/2008 9:23 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home