More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Furniture Auction

Last Sunday I went with my dad to a furniture auction to buy a corner lounge suite. We had already previously bought a lounge from the auction and it was a bargain. There was no reason to think why this one wasn't going to be a bargain either. The furniture at the auctions are either old season stock that shops want to get rid of, last pieces, slightly defective or display pieces in shops and houses.

I had told my friend Kin and Jo about the auction and they were also very excited after hearing about the bargains, hence they came on Sunday too to buy some stuff as well. Basially you stand around while they auction off EVERY item there. They go around the whole warehouse and you bid by raising a card with a number.

I ended up getting the corner leather 7 seater couch with 3 of the chairs reclining. It cost under $2400 after paying all the taxes and is a bargain, under half retail price. Kin and Jo bought even more things for their house. They bought a 7 piece dining table, a TV cabinet, rugs, plants, paintings. Jo's parents also bought a lounge and a 9 piece dining table. All up their purchases cost less than $3500, the price you would pay for just one lounge suite.

The funniest story from the auction was when Jo raised her number card and thought she had bought a beautiful wooden cabinet for $120. A similar piece, in fact it looked almost identical, had gone for $390 only minutes earlier. In the car ride home, my dad was saying that piece was such a bargain, and at the time the auctioneer said there were two others, which someone quickly snapped up. We were saying we should have gotten one too. Later when I rang Kin to see how it all went, he said that they had actually bid on a mountain bike, not the cabinet. This was hilarious. Obviously Kin cancelled the mountain bike order, but couldn't get the cabinet for that price. I was sure the auctioneer kept saying cabinet and also the two helpers were pointing at the cabinet and pulling the draws out and showing it off. Either it was a genuine miscommunication, or they auction placed stuffed up and weren't prepared to sell their cabinet at that price and make a huge loss. Anyway, besides that, Kin and Jo were very happy with all their purchases. I was also very pleased with my lounge and will be going back to the auction again to buy more cheap furniture.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jiggles said...

What a bargain. I have a leather corner suite in my lounge its really nice although I have to keep throws over it because of the dog.

But they are well comfy I guess your new home is starting to come together

8/15/2006 5:38 PM  
Blogger a l a n said...

I haven't read your blog for while, and i think this is my first comment too!! So i just read the latest entries or so.

Congrats on winning premiership.

Decepticons FC (my team) escaped without claiming the wooden spoon after a 7 - 2 thrashing of the girls team.

Thank god. Nothing beats a win.

Your mottos are similar to mine.

I've never been to an auction, the research side of it tends to scare me away. Imagine knowing you missed out on a masterpiece AFTER it sells...

8/16/2006 3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also went to one of these auctions... only to find that a wooden bar which we had purchased for $1700 just a week earlier went under the hammer for approx. $1400....

So definately the place to get a bargain.

8/16/2006 11:50 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Karen, those corner couches are very comfy. Pets would do a lot of damage to furniture, but since I don't have any, I have one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for your first ever comment Alan. A win is definitely a good feeling. How come there are girls also playing in the same league as you?

Anonymous, I'm definitely hooked on auctions now, such bargains to be found.

8/16/2006 11:13 PM  
Blogger afrobev said...

I would actually love to go to an auction. Not sure whether I would like to go to a furniture auction though. Old collectables is more my thing but it sounds like it was an experience.

8/17/2006 9:17 PM  
Blogger gary said...

I've only been to a few auctions, but it didn't seem to me that the deals were all that spectacular. Sometime it seemed that the bidders got a little carried away and actually paid too much.

My bad luck means that I have to wait the whole day just for one item, and then I get way out bid anyway.

8/30/2006 2:41 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

James, I always see those collectables auction on TV where someone ends up buying something cheap and they find out its worth millions later on.

Gary, Jeff's brother, thanks for your first comment by the way. Sometimes people do get carried away and let their emotions control their bidding. And yes, occasionally you wait till the end for your item and get outbid. Thats a bit of a bummer but thats how it goes auctions work.

8/30/2006 4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should go to these Auctions. I wonder how much they'll win me for?

1/30/2008 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure they'll skip you like all the other useless items

1/30/2008 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home