More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Spring Time and Hay Fever

I love Spring time, but also hate it at the same time. Firstly for the good part. Spring time means lots of nice weather where the days are fairly warm, the sun shines beautifully and there is a nice cool breeze blowing most days. I really hate cold weather and love the warmth of the sun. I've also found that nice sunny weather makes me much happier. For example, the other day, when I was going home from work, usually I get out the door and straight into the car to drive home. But this time, I just stood in the car park for a few minutes soaking up the lovely sunset and the nice gentle breeze blowing. When the sunset is a glorious purple/pink colour, it just makes the drive home so much nicer. I know that the colour is attributed to scattering as I research scattering for work but it still has a mystical quality to it.

However, Spring time also means that many flowers start to grow. I love flowers with all their colours and smells, but they do play havoc with my eyes and nose. All the pollen and dust in the air makes my hay fever go crazy. Just this past week, with the weather changing, there has been an immediate response by my body. I have had itchy red eyes and have been sneezing constantly. I may have 5 sneezes in a row, then have a blocked nose for about half an hour, then be fine for a few hours and then sneezing again. It's not a lot of fun I can tell you. I have to constantly carry tissues and blowing my nose a lot causes the skin around my nose to peel. My hay fever has gotten better in recent years. It used to be so bad in the past that I may use a whole box of tissues in one day. I used to also sneeze and blow my nose so hard that I would have blood noses and also burst veins in my eyes. Thankfully, now my hay fever is much less severe and I can enjoy Spring time a bit more.

4 Comments:

Blogger M. said...

I love Spring for all the reasons you outlined - not too sweltering but not too cold. Living in Melbourne, do you still experience four seasons in one day? In Perth, it's all pretty consistent so it's easy to love the weather all year round.

We've had so many people already come into the pharmacy to stock up on antihistamines, it's truly terrible! :(

9/02/2006 10:15 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

We constantly have 4 seaons in one day. It might look nice and sunny so I will go and play tennis, two games in and it all of a sudden goes dark and starts to rain so heavily. Then in a matter of 30 minutes it will stop raining and the sun will come out again.

One thing I have learnt is to always carry a jacket in Melbourne. No matter how nice it looks, it can turn at any minute.

9/03/2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger chookie said...

I absolutely adore spring, and even more so summer. I dont do well with the cold and am soooo excited that the sun is finally shining through.

I also have bad hayfever, and it's made worse because I wear contacts. So when I want to scratch my eyes out, I usually end up tearing a contact lens or two :S

And the other bad thing about spring is the caterpillars. I'm all for the beautiful butterflies, but those slimy squirmy furry things send little shivers down my spine:S

9/03/2006 10:27 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I just did that today. I had my contacts in ready for soccer, then I was sneezing a lot and my eyes were really itchy. So I rubbed them and the contact got stuck together underneath my top eyelid. Finally got it out. Luckily I was at home and had a mirror. One time I was driving and rubbing my eyes and the contact feel out and I could only see out of one eye. I quickly stopped and put it back in, but since it fell out and I had no solution to clean it, it was so dry. Now I keep contact solution in my car just in case.

9/03/2006 11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home