More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Bride And Prejudice Melbourne Style

I went to my friend Upneet's engagement party yesterday. Firstly congratulatons to Upneet and Dhawal on their engagement. The engagement was held at Nine Darling Street, a very nice reception place. I went with Anu (below) and Brian. Anu was decked out in her very nice blue sari.

I have never been to an Indian party before so didn't know what to expect. Firstly, I found that nearly all the women were wearing bright colourful saris. A lot of the men had their colourful head scarves on. Secondly, there was also a lot of people. I mean 250 people at a wedding would be a lot, let alone at an engagement party. But I guess Indians tend to have lots of relatives. Apparently the wedding will be in India later in the year and go for FIVE days, with elephants and performers involved. Wow, now that's a wedding I want to go to.

The future bride to be was also dressed in a very stunning sari with matching assessories. Here I am below with Upneet (centre) and Alka (left). Upneet did a very good job as hosts and came round and saw everyone and chatted.

There were speeches made about Upneet and Dhawal, with embarrassing anecdotes and also congratulatory messages. Upneet, you're secret eye lash batting technique to get what you want is now out there for the world to know, it might not be as effective in future now. *-)

Entrees were served quite late at 9pm. Even by Asian standards, this was late. Usually at Asian parties, dinner gets served at about 9pm. After entrees, there was dancing, dancing, and more dancing. Upneet and Dhawal did a nice sway type dance (below).

Then there was a dance routine put on by some of Upneet's friend. It was fantastic, just like something lifted out of a Bollywood movie. There was hand waving, feet stomping, shoulder shaking and lots of spinning. You can watch a bit of the dance in the following two videos.

After the performance, everyone else got on the dance floor and shook their booty like there was no tomorrow. Indians definitely love their dancing. I also got involved and had lots of fun. I got tips on how to dance Indian style. You have to do a lot of shoulder shrugging whilst simultaneously holding out one hand up and doing a "light bulbing screwing action" while holding the other hand down and "patting the dog". Also, when in doubt, just clap and stomp your feet. Easy!

Dinner finally got underway at about 11:30pm, unbelievably late since everyone just kept on dancing. By this stage I was actually quite hungry so I scoffed down the curries when they arrived. I polished down the food with quite a few glasses of red wine, leaving just enough room for dessert. After some more dancing at the end of the night, we called it a night and said goodbye to Upneet and Dhawal and wished them well. I went home having experienced a great cultural display and also having loads of fun along the way. I definitely need to get invited to more Indian parties.

14 Comments:

Blogger afrobev said...

It's great to try out new cultures now and again to see how different they do things. It must have been odd to see how varied things are at an engagement party. Looks like you had a good time anyway Thanh and you do look very dapper.

8/21/2006 2:22 AM  
Blogger Jiggles said...

I have always fancied going to an Indian wedding especially after going to a traditional Chinese wedding.

The engagement party looks lovely nice and colourful the wedding sounds like its going to be very tiring.

8/21/2006 6:12 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

It was very odd James, everything was so different to an Asian engagement/wedding party. I did have lots of fun though. And thanks, I rarely wear a suit so it was a little strange. I couldn't get myself to wear a tie, just feel so weird. For a wedding I'll do it, but this was only an engagement party.

Karen, the wedding does sound like it will be very tiring. Five days for a wedding, can you imagine it?

8/21/2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

The Indians are very colorful people.

Our regular customers often catered Italian food from us when they hold a party at their poolside. Once I catered for a 16th yr old birthday party... Whew! The parents must have spent about $10,000 on the party. Wonder what it would be like when it is her wedding party!

Saris are very colorful and graceful. They have a very intersting culture. Yes, you must attend more of such parties.

8/22/2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I would love to attend the wedding in India but I don't have enough money to go. I think it will definitely be a wedding that you won't forget soon.

8/22/2006 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever do get the opportunity to attend a traditional Indian wedding in India, you must!

I went to a wedding in New Delhi last year, and it was an experience I will never forget.

8/23/2006 9:18 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Damien, I would definitely love to go to an Indian wedding one day.

How many days was the wedding you went to? Did they have elephants like my friend is going to have at her wedding?

8/23/2006 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was five days, with at least one ceremony on each day. My wife and I had the pleasure of staying with (and being treated like members of) the bride's family, so we even got to participate in a couple of them instead of just watching. Add the amazing food to that, and it's an experience that will never be forgotten.

And yes, there were elephants!

8/30/2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Sounds like a very fun experience indeed. I must go to one if I ever get the chance, even if I only get to ride an elephant, that would be something I would never forget.

8/30/2006 4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

going to an indian wedding is good coz you get to dress up...in the cool saris ;) it's also a great ocassion coz everyone gets on the dance floor, even the old folks, and it's great to see the oldies dancing to dance/hip hop curry music :) and before u say it...i'm not being racist by saying the word "curry". I have many "curry" friends who refer to themsleves that and their culture...and they don't mind me saying it...my curry friend was like, you are what u eat :)

and also...at indian/sri-lankian/curry weddings, they alwasy have the best food!

9/23/2006 5:10 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

That was definitely one thing that I noticed, that all the "old" folks were up and dancing. You would never see that at an Asian wedding.

9/23/2006 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well..i am quite suprised coz the 2 cultures are quite similar in many ways...except i feel that with asian wedding, the family wants everything to run smoothly and perfect thru the whole night, and if it doesn't, it sticks like glue to their minds afterwards :) whereas curry weddings are more relaxed..once everyone gets over their speeches ;)

9/26/2006 2:55 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I think Asians are much more reserved when it comes to public displays. There were a lot of speeches that night. I should have gone up and done a speech hahaha.

9/26/2006 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Upneet know her new hubby long?

Just judging by their dance routine, it seemed rather awkward and untimely.

Perhaps its the dreaded BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM - I WAS MARRIED WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE syndrome.

Shame oh shame.

2/18/2008 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home