More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Do You Stereotype Yourself?

Normally, I act in a particular way, which is usually very happy, easy going and generally nice I would say. As I have been sick the last week (I know I should rest but I had to utilise the weekend to its fullest), my behaviour has also been affected. The first day that I was sick, I was just plain tired and couldn't be bothered to do anything. Then, since I was unable to sleep for the next couple of nights, my mood was very bad.

I was an extreme grump at work for most of the week. There were moments when I would spark up when something interesting happened, but once I started sneezing and felt tired again, I was in no mood to talk or laugh like I usually do. My customary smile was totally non evident. Simple requests by others to do something would make me so irritable and I would be a grump and say no to most things.

I was asked many times to help go and find costumes for our annual dinner dance. Last year, I had taken control and organised the costumes. This year, I said that since my idea was not deemed suitable, I suggested someone else did it as I didn't really care. But during the week that I was sick, the group was so indecisive that everyone still kept coming back to ask me to basically make a decision. I wasn't in the mood to think about anything besides the work I HAD to do. So I got very angry and snapped at everyone. This week I'm much better so have decided to take control and organise everything again. I actually like organising things as I'M A POWER MANIAC muahahaha, no, seriously, I like the knowledge of doing things right.

However, the point I wanted to make was that sometimes by our own usual actions, we actually stereotype ourselves. Everyone expected me to take control of the situation and make the decisions because normally I do that. I'm usually happy to do that, but not when I was clearly sick and didn't want that responsibility. Also, normally I'm a generally good natured person, so everyone at work asked if I was under immense stress or something since I was biting everyone's heads off. I wasn't being a monster or anything by anyone's standards, but it was a change from my usual persona.

Since people expect me to act a certain way, anything out of the ordinary is generally a shock. I was a victim of my own niceness. I guess I should either display the other characteristics more often so its less of a shock when it does happen, or I need to control myself during times when I just don't feel like being nice. I prefer to choose the first option. I think at times I take things too easily rather than putting my foot down. It's something I am conscious of and have written about in the past, but it takes time to slowly change these things. I feel I am more confident nowadays and do put my foot down on many more occasions.

There are many aspects to everyone's personalities, but due to certain environments, usually you might only see one side of them, so you tend to stereotype that person. However, we all go through ups and downs and hence different personalities will come out. I think you just have to spot when someone is down and steer clear. I think I was extremely clear when I kept saying that "I'm sick and grumpy so stay away and stop bugging me". However, I guess my usual niceness just meant everyone thought I was joking or didn't mean it. I think now they will all thing otherwise. Mean Thanh will occasionally come out now. >-)

3 Comments:

Blogger afrobev said...

I must admit to agreeing with you, especially about mood changes when sick. I have been in ill health with the effects of my illness for about two years and where I was once a happy go lucky, chilled out type of bloke, I now get a bit moody and can be the stereotypical angry young man.

When everything is a struggle physically (and sometimes mentally) I guess it takes its toll on your overall mood. No matter how consistent it usually is.

I try to stay positive and upbeat but it can sometimes be hard when you feel as though you have had the total crap kicked out of you on a weekly basis.

Rant over. Sorry mate I went of on one. :)

10/23/2006 4:17 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Sickness really does take its toll on you. One week of being sick and I'm already getting upset with people. A year of sickness and I think I might be ready to hit people hahaha.

Hopefully you will recover more and get back to you old self one day.

10/23/2006 6:58 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

When one is sick, it is nature's way of telling us to take that much needed rest.

When I am sick, I will hibernate like a polar bear.... sleep round the clock for days on ends. A good way to slim down! After much rest, I am refreshed and ready to take on the world! Hence, I am quite cheerful when I am sick... for it is the only time I sleep deeply.

10/23/2006 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home