More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Obnoxious People

I bet we all know of at least one person that we find some obnoxious that being in their merely being in their company makes you feel unwell. It's not that you choose to be in their company, they may be friends of friends and hence there are occasions where you must be in their company.

I know that I told myself last year that if I was around people I don't like, I won't bother putting in effort to be fake. It doesn't mean I will be rude, but I won't pretend to be interested in what they are saying.

I can say that I did that on the weekends. There was a particularly obnoxious person who's words were quite biting. Nearly every sentence he made had an edge to it, and he was the first to laugh the loudest at his own supposed "jokes" and comments. I didn't laugh most of the time and only when the words were directed at me did I bother answering. Otherwise I hardly spoke to him and I think he knew that I didn't much care to talk to him either. He mostly stayed away and joked around with other people, mainly at their expense.

I don't know whether these obnoxious people know, or for that matter, care how their words are affecting other. I know that whenever this person is around, I never enjoy myself as much. I guess there a few types of obnoxious people, but its the ones that make biting remarks and are generally arrogant that I dislike. With that personality too, they tend to dominate all conversations and steer everything to what they are talking about. I don't mind other people being the centre of conversation when they are interesting and genuinely funny without insulting others, but this person is neither interesting or "smart" funny as I call it. Anyway can take pot shots at others for the sake of jokes, but when its constant, it just become so boring and childish.

This particular person's attitude to everything is also of greed. On other occasions when there is something to gain, even small things such as a lollipop, he will just grab it, even when its clearly stated that its for someone else. This type of greedy attitude also translates into other activities of a gambling nature. When he is winning, he is rubbing it in and being totally ungracious, but when he is losing, all you ever hear is whineing and constant "jokes" about no one leaving until he starts winning.

I'm glad that this person is someone I don't see too often, since any more interaction with such a character will only make me mad. Initially, I thought he was only occasionally like this and actually spoke to him, but once I found out that that is the only aspect of his personality, I haven't spoken to him of my own accord at all.

8 Comments:

Blogger Liisaa said...

Yeah, I think it's unhealthy for our own good to be around people that you can't get along with. And its better to see it initially and let them know their presence is unappreciated. It's hard, though, when you find out later in life (that you don't like something about them) and you're stuck with this 'friend' of yours.

2/05/2007 5:41 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I definitely don't force myself to interact with people I don't like anymore. It is bad when you become "friends" with people either by association from others or when you don't know them well enough yet.

2/05/2007 7:18 PM  
Blogger a l a n said...

wait a minute...that sounds like me

O_O

better stop doing that now i know people dont like it.

chaaaaaaaaaaange the template mate!!!

2/08/2007 1:41 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Which part are you doing? If its the talking part where evey word has an edge to it, yes stop that.

I need to work on the template soon but too lazy. Which part is bad in your professional opinion?

2/08/2007 11:57 AM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Words have the power to heal or to kill!!

Didn't some acresses commit suicde because of gosspis and unkind words hurled at them.?

This is probably why the Creator, in His wisdom, only gave homo sapiens one mouth instead of two!!!

2/08/2007 12:53 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Sorry, so many typo errors, Thanh.

Retype:-

Words have the power to heal or to kill!!

Didn't some actresses commit suicde because of gossips and unkind words hurled at them?

This is probably why the Creator, in His wisdom, only gave homo sapiens one mouth instead of two!!!

2/08/2007 12:55 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I'm not sure which actress you're talking about, but words can be harmful.

And just because you mentioned your typos, I think you spelt suicide wrong in both comments hahaha. I'm just being a spelling Nazi. Feel free to pick mistakes in my typing too. :-)

2/10/2007 4:41 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Plenty, Thanh. The most famous one was the singer with the golden voice, Zhou Xian. The latest would be the pretty Taiwanese actress who recently committed suicide.... can't remember her name. Her grandma came back from Church and found her dead.

2/11/2007 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home