More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Another Mark In The Tree Of Life

"The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you." Bob Harris - Lost In Translation

It's been a year since my last birthday, which would make it my birthday again today. Gee I'm officially starting to feel old now. This past year rolled by so quickly that I really don't know where it went.

This year has been great in a few ways. The jobs getting better. I'm getting more responsiblities and have definitely learnt a lot from my three group members professionally and personally. I've also started a small buiness and I'm still enthusiastic about that. Hopefully it will end up being my way to early retirement.

My life socially has been good too. I have lots of fun going out with friends each week. Still need to do some work on the love life front. Any help in that area from anyone will be appreciated. :-) Where are all the geeky women of the world?

In terms of personal development, I think I've taken huge strides this year. Being out in the work environment and being able to mix with people of different age and experience from myself has allowed me to learn a lot from them, a few in particular who have been so kind to share their thoughts with me. As Bill Murray as Bob said in Lost in Translation, "The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you". I think that knowing what I want more and more has made life so much easier. I now only give my time to people that I care about. I am much more upfront about things and do not entertain people just for the sake of trying to be nice. I've also learnt to control my emotions more and not get upset and take too many things personally. Things still bother me, but I tend to think about it, decided on a resolution (which may be to accept it or just acknowledge something) and then move on. Life is too short to be upset.

I've also learnt to occasionally reflect on my life and things around it. The simple act of thinking about something makes you question things and that can only lead to more understanding.

This blog and my food blog have also been great outlets for my opinions, emotions and just general thoughts that I wish to express. I've also met and gotten to know lots of great people from their blogs and have thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

6 Comments:

Blogger afrobev said...

This is probably one of your more personal posts Thanh and it's good that you recognise how you have grown as a person and appreciate other people's input into that.

I do like the Bill Murray quote too. It's one of my favourites.

Oh and Happy Birthday by the way :)

5/07/2007 11:48 PM  
Blogger chookie said...

Happy Birthday Thanh :) Sounds like you've had a great year! Here's wishing for many more great years to come :)

5/08/2007 8:14 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

James, I do feel I have grown up a bit over this past year, thanks to insights from friends and work mates.

Lost in Translation is quite a clever film. I got this uncomfortable feeling throughout the film but yet I was hooked.

Kae, thanks, I hope for more great years too.

5/08/2007 9:57 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Remember I had wanted you to meet some of my nice Singapore friends and colleagues?

Mm... now you are one year more mellow and mature! Cheers to your growing up! Happy Birthday!

5/10/2007 10:00 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I hope I get to meet you one day Choo.

Thanks, I hope to do more growing up as each year passes.

5/10/2007 11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANKS!!!

2/07/2008 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home