More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Comedy Festival - Peter Berner

I went to the comedy festival to see Peter Berner with my friends Adrian, Charles, Harinder and Justin. Our first choice was to see Ed Byrne (great reviews and preview video) or Adam Hills (of Spicks and Specks fame and good reviews) but they were sold out. So "we" (not me) chose to see Peter Berner (of Einstein Factor fame) instead. There is a reason why his show was still available last minute, it wasn't that good.

We had arrived 15 minutes late to a one hour show due to some organisational problems and the obvious parking problems, made worse by some organisational problem. I'm not laying blame, but you know who you are Mr Organiser hehehe. Regardless of how fast you drive, Murphy's Law always dictates that you cannot make up time from leaving late, something else will delay you.

So we got to Victoria Hotel and quickly got our tickets that we already paid for so couldn't not watch the show. We walked down to the room and initally when we first entered, I said in my mind "Oh no". All I saw were rows and rows of empty seats. I thought we might be the only people there. Luckily as we entered the room a bit more, I could see that the front half of the room was at least sort of filled. We took our seats at the back and began to watch.

Initially I didn't really get the jokes since they were related to what he said earlier I assume. So I thought it would get better once he did some more material. It never really got much better. There were some very funny parts where I laughed out really loud, but those were few and far between. The rest of his material was very predictable and not that funny to me. I looked around the room and I think some other people had the same opinion. There were quite a few folded arms around chests, indicating "I don't like this" body posture. Only a couple of people in the front few rows, a woman especially, were laughing at everything, even things that weren't jokes. Maybe they were the ones who really wanted to see Peter Berner as their first choice and hence find him really funny. Either that or because you are at a comedy festival event, you are expected to laugh more.

I just found myself thinking when it was going to end because I was bored. I never really got into it. I guess being late and knowing that 1/4 of my $28 ticket had already disappeared didn't exactly put me in the best mood. But Peter Berner's observational comedy wasn't that enlightening. It followed a main theme of what he wanted to teach his son and one particular prop. But the observations were very obvious and I was doing the punchlines in my head before he did his punchlines. The one section of his show that was a bit more risque was his best stuff, but that only went for a short bit.

Hopefully I might be able to go and see Ed Byrnes next week and have a good laugh and truly experience what the best the comedy festival has to offer. I probably wouldn't recommend Peter Berner's show unless you are a real fan of his stuff, in which case you would go regardless of what I say anyway. Save your pennies for some other acts.

7 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

I went last night to see Will Anderson and Steven K Amos. Will was, of course, completely sold out, not a spare seat in the house. I saw him at the festival several years ago, and enjoyed his performance last night just as much as I did back then.

Mr Amos was... well, he wasn't my choice, but he wasn't all that bad. Again, the place was full for his show. I guess he's just not my type of comic! Hoping to go see Adam Hills tomorrow night (cheap Tuesday!) or, if he's sold out then, still fit him in before the festival ends. Saw him a few years ago too, and he was amazing.

Fingers crossed your comedy festival experience improves!

PS: I'm now shorn!

4/16/2007 12:57 PM  
Blogger Jonno said...

Its a shame that it was a bad show considering how seemingly popular he is. I've heard good things about Ed Byrne and Adam Hills and was thinking about seeing one or both. The problem now is that everyone starts to hear the same things and the shows start selling out!

4/16/2007 6:30 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anna, Wil Anderson would have been another person I would have liked to watch.

I just saw the photo on your blog. All your hair is GONE!!!!! A shaved head looks good on you, well from what I can see from the back view anyway. Good on you for doing it for charity.

Jonno, I'm not sure how popular Peter Berner is. I spoke to a work mate today and both he and a friend of his have been to see Peter Berner on different occasions and they both thought he wasn't funny.

I guess good news travels fast and the disadvantage is that tickets are sold out and its hard to get one. Good luck on trying to get a ticket, I'm going to see if I can get a ticket for Ed Byrne's show this Sunday.

4/16/2007 9:12 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Right on!

My ex-student had migrated to Melbourne and attended my sister's church. One day she asked my sis if she had a sister who was a teacher in Singapore because she could see some resemblance in us! Turned out that she was my student, Helen! What a small world indeed!

4/18/2007 12:16 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Choo, things like that do show that it is such a small world with international travel and the internet nowadays.

4/18/2007 6:41 PM  
Blogger Applecross WC said...

Shame you didn't enjoy the show.

A couple of years ago I saw "The best of Edinburgh" and all I remember is that it was an Australian guy, an Irishman and Stephen K Amos. I thought Amos was hilarious and the crowd loved it. Don't know what his current show is like but it sounds like Anna didn't like it ;o)

4/21/2007 2:21 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Applecross WC, it was a shame the show wasn't good, coz you can do a lot more enjoyable things with $28 rather than sit there and not be amused.

I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere when there is an Australian, Irish and English guy. I guess Amos is your type of comedian and not Anna's. I've heard of him but can't put a face to the name so not sure whether I like his comedy or not.

4/22/2007 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home