More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Time Shifting aka End of Daylight Saving

I woke up today to the very pleasant surprise that it was the end of daylight saving. This means that we turn the clocks back one hour, effectively giving everyone an extra hour of sleep. So instead of waking up at 11am, I had woken up at 10am, giving me an extra hour to get ready to go to the Chocolate and Coffee festival in the city that starts at 11am.

Wouldn't life be so great if we could just turn time back and forth whenever we wanted. I suspect most people would be turning time back a lot, since people are usually late for things. Turning time forward could be useful but I wonder how that would work. If you turn time back, you simply go back to a point in time that has already happened and insert yourself into it again and then press play. But if you turn time forward, the events would have to had happen already without your prescence, so if you then appear, would you wreck the whole time-space continuum.

I'm constantly intrigued by how time and space would work if you bend it. I watch and read so many sci fi movies, tv shows and books that always feature this issue and all have varying views. If you go back in time, do you wreck the space continuum because you would exist in the same time frame with two of you. Or would the old you not exist because only one of you can exist in that time frame at one point in time. And if you were in the past or future, what is happening to you in the interim period where you were supposed to be. Are you still in that old time frame, because if you aren't, then doesn't causality mean that you should therefore not exist since you are merely a continuum of your past self.

Hmmmm, all these questions are too much for a lazy Sunday morning. I need to find smarter minds to explain theoretically how all this time travelling would work. Anyone have a theory on how time travelling works.

3 Comments:

Blogger chookie said...

returning to non daylight saving stuffed me up :( i'm so tired today.. too much awake and sleep time...

3/26/2007 9:27 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

I HATE daylight saving! Always so happy to come off it. Especially since it meant I got an extra hour to lay around before work yesterday. And the 7am clock-on next Saturday will be easier too. Even waking up at 5am for work won't be so bad (for a few weeks, anyway).

As for time travelling... some years ago a school friend of mine mused on an office time-machine in the form of a standard computer desk chair. I'll have to find it and see if it entertains you as much as it did me.

3/26/2007 5:21 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Kae, I don't know if its the non daylight saving that stuffed me up, but I went home at about 2pm from work just feeling so unwell and have slept for 4 hours just now.

Anna, I really like daylight savings, becuase the sun is still out late at night and you can still do things.

So your friend used an office chair as a time machine? I don't quite understand, definitely show me. Anything to do with time travel always intrigues me.

3/26/2007 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home