More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Time To Get Fit

Question: When do you know it’s time to get fit again?
Answer: When you throw up after the first game of the new indoor soccer season.
For the last three months after the previous indoor soccer season finished, I’ve been very inactive and gluttonous. I hardly do any exercise and have been eating so much unhealthy (but extremely tasty) food and started to develop a liking for wine as well.

All of these bad things have culminated in me putting on 2 kgs. Some of my work pants are getting a bit tight again. I’ve begun to walk around the block at lunch times and even that makes my legs tired.

Well tonight, my fitness would be tested even more and I failed miserably. Tonight was the first game of our new indoor soccer season. Usually in the first game, there is always a casualty of war. Due to too much inactivity in the off season, everyone comes back extremely unfit but enthusiastic to play. This means that we do not pace ourselves during the game and run way too hard for our fitness levels. This results in someone getting a bad headache or worse still, throwing up. In previous seasons, others have had that infamy. Tonight, it was to be my turn.

I did not help my own cause by eating just before the game, but still, it was mainly my own lack of fitness that did it. I managed to get out of the stadium just in time to throw up in the bin. Initially, my friend Justin thought I might have thrown up in the recycling bin. That would have been funny but bad. It turns out it was the regular trash bin. After 5 great vomits that a bulimic would be proud of, I felt so light headed it was worse than having 4 beers. I managed to drive home and then take a quick lie down. I’m feeling slightly worse for wear now and have written this post to remind myself to start eating better and do regular daily exercise. Hopefully in a two months time when the indoor season ends, I will be fit enough to run out a game without throwing up.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why make it two months until you get fit to run out a game without chucking? sounds like your 3 month hiatus has left you with a physical AND psychological barrier.

set yourself a month, at the very most, exercise 3 times a week, eat less crap, throw a run in once a week, and we won't call you a half-game wonder next time round.

5/10/2007 9:06 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Just started working out in the gym today. Will try to go to the gym at least 3 times a week.

Cheers to more exercise.

5/10/2007 9:56 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Juz, I'm going to try my best. I'm not the most motivated when it comes to exercise. I like sports but running I hate, so I really have to push myself to get out and do it.

Choo, good on you. I'm just too lazy to even sign up to a gym let alone go three times a week.

5/10/2007 11:37 PM  
Blogger afrobev said...

You are a better man than me for even thinking about it Thanh. Anyone fancy a pizza? :)

5/11/2007 7:03 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Well James, thinking is one thing, but acting it out, that's the tough part.

Who said pizza, me, me, me, I want pizza. Thick crust, mozzarella, onion, mushroom, capsicum, salami, anchovies, ham and tomato paste thanks.

5/11/2007 10:59 PM  
Blogger Jonno said...

Just think, it can only get better from here... I don't think food before the game was a good idea though. Did you win the game at least?

5/12/2007 12:36 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Jonno, food before the game was a definite mistake. We lost the game 4-3. The worse part was that a made a run late in the match, with a few minutes to go and got past a player and had a one on one with the keeper. However, I could feel my legs starting to go so took a desperate lunge and shot rather than side step the keeper. He saved the ball and that ended up being the final score. :-( If only I had energy left to make a final move. If only.

5/12/2007 5:23 PM  
Blogger Trev said...

Nice one Thanh. Don't feel too bad. Three months of no strenuous physical activity ain't so bad. Try 12 months for me. Shucks

5/12/2007 10:00 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Trev, even though you haven't done anything exercise in 12 months, I'm sure you've done heaps unknowingly. All the walking that you have to do in China would have kept you fit I think.

5/13/2007 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home