More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Of Obama, Mumbai, Guitars, Reunion, Financial Crisis and Christmas

My posting on this blog has become less and less. I'm not even sure anyone regularly reads this blog anymore. Anyway, here goes some meek wrap up of my thoughts (that I can remember off the top of my head now) for the last month.

Firstly, the election of Barack Obama as American president brings new hope to a country that is slightly losing it's gloss. I was happy when Obama was elected as I think America, and the free nations of the world need some change.

The terrorist attacks in Mumbai once again reminded the world that it's innocence was lost on September 11th 2001. Nowadays, the way to get a message across is to hurt many innocent people and make as big an impact as you can. It's such a shame that these extremists think they only way to get their message across is through terrorism. These attacks also highlighted how the coverage of them has shifted. With the rise of social networking sites and the access to Internet, these new dramas are being broadcast to the world almost instantly by netizens posting on their own blogs and networking sites. It gives us, the voyeur and observers, such a closer sense of reality.

On a lighter note, I recently bought Guitar Heroes world tour. This game is so much fun. I'm getting better at playing the guitar but still am awful with the drums. I just don't have the co-ordination to keep separte rhythms with different hands and also my feet. I am really loving all the rock songs and can't believe I haven't listened to more rock in the past.

Speaking of the past, I went to my 10 year high school reunion. I was a bit nervous about going, fearing that no one would turn up or everyone would have changed a lot. But my fears were alleviated when I turned up and a lot of others were also there. Almost everyone was still recognisable and hadn't changed much in personality. It was comforting to know that as much as things change, people are still pretty much the same as they were back then. A good time was had by all reminiscing about our past and catching up on what was currently happening. And as usual, everyone promised to keep in touch. But I know that we won't. As we all said, if we were all still friends, we would have stayed in touch. But at least with sites like Facebook now, people can keep in some form of contact.

With the reunion, there were lots of questions about what jobs we were all doing and whether the financial crisis had affected it. Fortunately, everyone was still employed, despite this impending crisis. Things have changed so much financially this year and it would be scary times for many. Jobs, mortgages, savings and investments are all under threat. With so many companies crashing, it's a more subdued time leading up to Christmas this year.

Despite the financial crisis, we should all spend for Christmas as spending is what will stop this crisis. I've gone and been ultra prepared and bought all my presents already. I'm doing my bit to help the financial crisis, I hope Santa gets me an Iphone in return. :-)

I shall try to update this blog more, that's if anyone is reading. If not, it'll be a good record for myself when I look back in the future.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noticia importante: El dia 23 de Enero varias empresas que estan en contra de esta ley S.O.P.A (Google, Yahoo!, Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, Wikipedia, Amazon, Mozilla, AOL, eBay, PayPal, IAC, LinkedIn, OpenDNS, Zynga) van hacer un apagon cibernetica, asi q este dia nosotras no debemos de usar el internet por nada del mundo!!!! por favor unirse ayuden a difundir esta informacion. Gracias

1/20/2012 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home