More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Life is a Highway

"Life is a highway, I wanna ride is all night long" Life is a Highway, sung by Tom Cochrane.

I think that life does resemble a high way. There are many parallels that can be drawn. I just saw the Pixar movie Cars on DVD and they drew on those parallels when they used it as the theme song for the movie.

Lets look at some of the parallels between life and a highway.

* There are speed limits and rules on a highway, much like life where there are restrictions on what we can do.
* A highway has smooth stretches where everything is plain sailing, low troughs where you roll down slightly out of control, and high peaks where its tough to get up to, but has a great view once on top. Life has similar changes with people going through calm patches in their life and at the extremities, high highs and low lows.
* A wrong move on the highway and you can end up splattered by other cars or rocks on the side, so you have to learn which part of the road you can trust and go fast on and other parts go slow on. Life is similar in that you need to find out what type of people you can trust and who won't hurt you as opposed to fake people who will use you.
* The highway leads to many different destinations, and its up to you where you want to stop. Life is always offering various opportunities and possible destinations for you, and its up to you to pick which road you would like to take.
* Finally, your journey on the highway will eventually end either when you reach your desination or you run out of fuel and the car breaks down. Life has to end for everyone, that is one inevitable thing. But where it ends is up to the individual. Someone people do more in their lifes and visit more destinations but that doesn't necessarily mean they had more fun that people who visit less destinations. A lot of the time, its the journey that is the important part and not the destination.

And that concludes this slightly pointless post trying to draw some thin parallels between life and a highway. I like the song though.

"Life's like a road that you travel on
When there's one day here and the next day gone
Sometimes you bend sometimes you stand
Sometimes you turn your back to the wind
There's a world outside every darkened Door
Where blues won't haunt you anymore
Where the brave are free and lovers soar
Come ride with me to the distant shore
We won't hesitate break down the garden gate
There's not much left today
Life is a highway
I want to ride it all night long
If you're going my way
I want to drive it all night long"

8 Comments:

Blogger Liisaa said...

I think there is a lot we can parallel with life. I believe that the world around us was made in order to be paralleled with the life we live.

You forgot one very important rule:

Keep left. :D

11/08/2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Ah yes, the important keep left. But what if I was in America, I would want to keep right then wouldn't I. Or should I still keep left and hope for the best.

11/08/2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger chookie said...

But don't forget that there are also detours if there are road blocks :) Might take you a bit longer, and might not be the most convenient - but will get you there anyway:)

11/09/2006 11:58 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

That's right Kae. I totally forgot about road blocks. And yes, life is full of detours, some of which help you to learn even more while others might cause a little delay.

11/09/2006 6:06 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Thanh, I think you have tremendous potential as a toastmaster. You craft your articles quite well, and are quite profound and analytical.

Check out the nearest toastmaster club in your neighbourhood!

11/10/2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Thank you Choo. I think I prefer writing to speaking in public in front of people.

11/12/2006 12:23 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

Papa said that life is like an escalator. What goes up can come down and what comes down can also go up.

Hence there is no need to look up and down on people. Just love and treat people equally, even as we are all precious to the One who creates us.

There is no need to be depressed when one is down. Peservere and one will go up again! There is no need to be proud when one is up there, for there is that danger of falling down too!

11/13/2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Life is like so many things isn't it. So many analogies can be used to describe life because it is full of so many adventures.

11/13/2006 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home