More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Asian Cup - Australia vs Japan

The disappointment. I knew that Australia wasn't playing well, but I still hoped they would pull out a miracle like in the world cup. Kin, Paul and I went to Glen Waverley to watch the match. There was quite a good turn out, considering it is only the Asian Cup and soccer is still a small sport in the country. But it is gaining momentum and people are starting to be captured by it.

To the actual match, Australia were outplayed for most part of the match. Their goal was a good goal from a corner kick, but they let all that hard work go to waste when they let Japan reply almost immediately. I still hadn't stopped celebrating yet and was making phone calls when Japan alreayd replied. The Australian team consisted of the same members as the World Cup squad, but they just seemed to lack cohesion and firepower. I guess a good coach does make a big difference.

Australia did their best to hold onto from draw despite a Japanese onslaught in extra time. However, they couldn't grab the opportunity when it came to the penalty shootout. Harry Kewell and Lucas Neill, two of Australia's highest profile players and most senior memebers were unable to convert their shots, putting Australia in all sorts of trouble. Japan on the other hand, held their nerves and slotted their first two penalties. Australia were playing catch up from there and couldn't manage a miracle. Hopefully Australia lift their game and we see them qualify in the Asian region now for the next World Cup.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just loved Mr.Do's face when Japan scored the equalizer in the space of less than a minute.

He went from jubliant pig faced to droopy elephant.

NIPPON!!! NIPPON!!! NIPPON!!!

7/23/2007 11:05 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

My face does not look like a pig, it looks like an angelic cherub.

7/23/2007 10:20 PM  
Blogger Jonno said...

The heat probably did them in too do you think? Being a player down for a while would've made it harder. No excuse for the missed penalties though...

7/24/2007 3:19 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

The heat and being a man down definitely didn't help. I didn't think Grella's tackle deserved a red card. At most it was a yellow.

I was hoping they could hold on through extra time and win it in penalties, but it was not to be. I think this really shows how hard qualifying in the Asian region is going to be for the World Cup. Australia need to be playing their best or the seasoned teams of Asia will knock them over.

7/24/2007 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the AW-SEEs would have won if Thanh Do shouted drinks like crazy!

7/25/2007 2:58 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I don't think so, I think someone should have shouted me more drinks so I could cheer louder and then they would have won.

7/25/2007 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home