More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Internet Addiction Part 2

You know you are addicted to the Internet when you write a second post about Internet addiction. You can read my first post here. I just read an article today, on the internet of course, about How we've become hooked on the net.

I guess its only natural for the Internet to become an addiction. Addictions are just anything that we crave out of proportion. I will be the first to admit that I have a partial addiction to the Internet. I couldn't imagine life without it. I could probably manage a few days without it, but after that I would be struggling. Now that I have broadband, like the article says, I pop in and out of my room a lot, just for a quick check of email or to read something on the net.

The Internet gives me a sense of "being connected" (pun intended). It makes me feel like I can reach out to people anywhere, learn about anything and do most things online. If any breaking events happen, I will be able to instantly know and even write my opinion about it. It has an immediacy that only a mobile phone can rival. However, the reach of a mobile phone is restricted to people you already know.

I find that the Internet is a very useful tool. I run a business off it, I learn information off it, I am entertained off it and I can meet new people off it. It has all the tools that are needed for people to satisfy their needs and wants. How the Internet might change in the future is anyone's guess. Mine is that it may get even more interactive, with things such as smells and virtual realities possibly becoming the norm. You could literally be transported to another world through using the Internet and a virtual reality simulator. I might get to satisfy my wish of travelling in space and landing on foreign planets, all without leaving the comforts of my chair.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

I'm not addicted, I can stop any time I want. Honest.

7/26/2007 6:10 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Coming from an addict, I can tell that you most definitely cannot stop Anna. I reckon there will be IA (Internetics Anonymous) soon.

7/26/2007 8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Internet is a perfect tool for lazy fat asses like our blog friend here.

Soon when the technology becomes available, he'll be using his computer as his personal water closet and he will probably marry his cyber wife over the internet.

Mr. Do, you fat and lazy ass is a hazard to the world!

8/10/2007 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fat and Stupid Do,

A lot of people including myself like to spend hours at home surfing the net at our leisure.

BUT YOU ... you giant lump of lard!! You really take the old saying "Make youself at home" too literally.

Why the hell didn't your folks teach you that you can't just go to other people's houses, no matter how close friends they are to you, to just take over their telly, take over the wireless internet, turn on their heater, throwing your snotty rags around. Yes. The TV and internet usuage bears very little costs, but it should always, let me repeat, SHOULD ALWAYS be given priority to the WHOMEVER owns the house. I am a very torelant person, but your unbelievable behaviours as a guest at my house is beginning to really test me. WHAT I AM WATCHING ON TV STAYS ON THE TV. IF I'M USING MY INTERNET, DON'T TOUCH MY LAPTOP!! You are free to come visit anytime and enjoy yourself. I don't mind you using any of our stuff, but for goodness sakes just looking at your behaviour frustrates me that a fully grown man still acts like a child.

You are the perfect example of fat slob with no shame. I really want to know if our house is the only place you make yourself this comforable.

4/30/2008 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Spiteful Do,

In response to your powerful reply received in my letterbox, let me rephase my points.

I DO NOT mind letting full usage of the tv and internet at home to you. You are free to use as you like.

I DO NOT expect you to ask nicely (MAY I PLEASE WATCH YOUR TV, etc).

I simply would like some consideration demonstated on your behalf. Sure, there has not been one time where I was needing to use the internet or watch a particular show on TV while you demanded takeover. If I really needed to use the computer, I have 3 other ones at home.

However, it is simply just the manner in which you do take over the tv programme or the internet for example. If my kids or little cousins, nephews, etc did that I would introduce him/her the back of my hand.

Your demand for me to switch channels when I'm watching a programme on another channel is one Prime example. Sure you are a big fan of Jana Pittman, but to demand I switch to ABC just to see the REPLAY of her race and her post race celebrations is borderline arghhh arhghh. That sort of stuff could be rewatched on Youtube or some other sports website. Now that Big Brother is back on Telly, do not come over to watch it there PLEASE!!!

Let me close by saying, it is not REALLY a great problem with you, and that you are and always have been welcome to my wares. But I just expect some love when you want to switch channels to watch Big Brother or when you want to use my internet to look up Scatlovers. Please erase all history after that especially on the work laptop.

Now in regards to me not giving back the same love is bogus. I have always supported your ambitions to run across Uganda. I even planned something for your stinky feet this month.

5/01/2008 10:57 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous, now that you clarified everything, I get it.

I will try to play nicer and be less demanding.

My stinky feet are expecting something good then.

Thank you, thank you.

5/01/2008 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home