More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Movie Review - Fantastic Four 2

*****SPOILERS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, DON'T COME COMPLAINING TO ME :-)*****

I was suckered in, as my friend Kin put it. A sequel to an average movie just gets worse. The first Fantastic Four movie was ok, a bit slow for my liking. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they had to set up the characters and give us some back story to get us involved. However, without the need to do as much back story in the sequel, I was expecting a much faster paced movie.

The movie fell so flat it wasn't funny. I'm ok with the ridiculous storylines since it is a comic book movie after all. But a silver surfer who has come from another planet to destroy ours? The silver surfer guy isn't even the badie, he was just a soft hearted soul working for another unknown evil force trying to save his loved one. Puh-lease, someone find me a script writer. With no real evil guy, even with Julian McMahon's reprisal of Von Doom, the movie just doesn't feel right.

The internal battles between Sue Storm (the amazingly hot Jessica Alba) and Reed Richards (Ioan Gruffold) about their wedding is rather tedious. Johnny Storm (Chris Evans) and his story about finding his true heroic unselfish self is ok, but its still fairly predictable and weak. Ben Grimm (Michael Chiklas) provides another small tangent story with his blind wife Alicia, but that story is probably the most boring.

I don't know if the movie is trying to be serious in trying to develop the characters or whether the script writers were just crap. A comic movie like this needs humour and fast paced action. It doesn't need too much of a story. A simple good versus evil is enough. But the evil needs to be so evil that it makes your skin crawl, think Darth Vader in Star Wars part 1. There were some fast paced action scenes in this movie and they were great, but they were few and far between. The movie needed to move along faster. The evil guy, the silver surfer, lacked all substance and wasn't even evil or scary. The humour was pretty weak. There were some laughs, but most of the jokes were so lame I could have written them. Jokes can be obvious but still funny. These were obvious but not funny.

I vow here and now that if there is a third Fantastic Four movie, I will definitely not go watch it at the movies and waste my hard earned money. I will wait for it to go to DVD.

Overall Rating: *1/2 Movie slow and story boring.

15 Comments:

Blogger afrobev said...

I must admit that I thought the first movie was absolutely pants for want of a better word. So I certainly wasn't going to bother to watch the sequel. Glad I read your review to justify it though. If there is a third film it will probably be straight to DVD anyway like Inspector Gadget 2 or something.

6/26/2007 4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You stupid monkey!!!
I kept warning you about watching movies like these especially sequels to flop movies.

The next time Mr. Hii suggest a movie, pick another. I just dunno maybe he is picking these abysmal movies for us to watch on purpose. Chicken Little, Pirates and now this. Fool Mr. Do once, shame on Hii, Fool Mr. Do twice, shame on Do, Fool Mr. Do Thrice, Shoot Mr. Do.

6/26/2007 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's watch Chicken Little 2 next and also Blades of Glory 2

6/29/2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

James, definitely don't waste your money watching it at the cinemas. As for the word pants, I've never heard that used before, must be a Welsh thing.

Anonymous, I may be a monkey, but not a stupid one. I can't help it if I was sucked in with the hype and the trailer looked so good.

The next time Hii picks a movie, I'm still going to go if I think it might be good. Fool me thrice, shoot the person who fooled me :-).

Hii, I can't wait for the release of those two movies, I'm going to line up the night before just to make sure I get tickets hahaha.

6/29/2007 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do is a Do Do

6/29/2007 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Do

"your hard earned money"

oh pleaseeeeeeeeeee. Lining up at Centrelink isn't exactly "hard earned"

6/29/2007 1:02 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

My money is very hard-earned, I need to surf the web each day, send lots of useless junk emails, and chat to work mates about what holiday plans they have. :-)

6/30/2007 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a disgraceful review.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie 5 times and will purchase at least 2 copies of this on DVD.

Furthermore, I am attending the studio where they shot this film and worship the ground the stars of the movie set their feet on.

Long Live the Silver Surfer!!!

7/06/2007 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree. This movie defines the way movies should be made. It was crisp perfet in every way. Some people must have s**t in their eyes and ears while watching this masterpiece.

I give it 100 starts out of 0.1 starts

7/09/2007 12:17 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Senior Movie Reviewer and Anonymous, you should both (or you singularly) go and finance the next Fantastic Four film. I'm sure it will be a masterpiece. :-)

7/09/2007 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The issue is Mr Do has some personal vendetta against historically defining made movies like this masterpiece. He is jealous because his movie of himself picking fights with the locals outside Noble Park station only got him a Razzie.

7/09/2007 3:13 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Senior Movie Reviewer, I do have a vendetta against rubbish like this which is over hyped and then cleverly edited to make the trailer look so good so that I go and waste my money watching it.

My movie should have picked up a Golden Globe at least, it was pure art.

7/09/2007 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Do.

If you got fooled by "cleverly edited" trailers then you are not so "clever" yourself. You should have listened to your friend Oblivion a long time ago. I heard he kept warning you against marketing tactics that constantly sucker "silly" people like yourself into getting overhyped with poor products like this movie. Shame Do Shame. Now go and now have a cry in the corner!!

I still rate this movie TOP NOTCH (NOT)

7/11/2007 1:31 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I never said I was clever. People are curious. You can hear something but won't believe it until you see it for yourself sometimes. So sue me for being curious.

7/11/2007 10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK I WILL!!

Judgement for the plantiff for the amount specified in application No. 65hgdrink

7/16/2007 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home