More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Power of Music

I have always loved listening to music. I find that it is such a powerful tool in helping to enhance or control my moods. Good music is timeless and you can listen to it so many times and it will still always appeal to you.

As you could see from the frequency of my blog posts during the first half of last month, I wasn't feeling too great. I was so down for some reason which I'm not entirely sure of. It could be my birthday and how I felt like another year had slipped past and I hadn't achieved that much. Or it was just the weather going cold which always makes me sad. Or it was the two full moons in a month as my friend John joked. Whatever it was, I found myself turning to music a lot to get through it.

I was listening to all these really sad songs, with my favourite being "Don't Give Up" by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush. I couldn't stop listening to this song. I had it on repeat throughout most of the day at work. It just felt so right to listen to it. It wasn't exactly making me happier, but it just felt so soothing. The lyrics seemed to be reflecting the sad mood I was going through.

Suddenly, about a week after listening to that song endlessly, I just seemed to snap out of my unhappy mood. It could be due to many reasons, from getting some great sleep over one weekend (after not sleeping well for about two weeks), to getting over pitying myself, to adapting to the weather. However, I think the song also helped in some way. It helped me to stop getting down on myself.

After I had snapped out of my unhappy mood. I still kept listening to that song for another day or two quite constantly throughout the day. However, the feeling I got was totally different to when I was unhappy. The song now seemed to be much happier and full of hope rather that sadness. I heard Kate Bush's chorus part a lot more rather than Peter Gabriel's verse parts where he is sad. I was even smiling when singing along.

I then started to listen to disco music soon after and was grooving along at work. I was singing all the songs in my head and might of accidentally sang out aloud a few times even. The music was making to make me even happier than I already was.

6 Comments:

Blogger chookie said...

I love depressing music generally (my bf can attest to that).. however, when im down, i always drown myself in more depressing music. It's almost as if i *want* to stay that way. Bizarre, but it usually takes me a few days to snap out of it as well.

6/06/2007 8:25 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Its really strange isn't it Kae. At the time, I literally couldn't stop listening to the song Don't Give Up. By after a while, I just snapped out of it and felt so much better. I wonder what is happening in our heads?

6/06/2007 10:05 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

I hear you re. another birthday and the feeling of not having achieved anything much. My birthday is coming up in a fraction over a week, and I've certainly got a case of the "downers". And I'm also listening to a song over and over again - although it's rather different to your choice! I've been playing "Pushing Me Away" by Linkin Park.

6/07/2007 6:51 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anna, happy birthday firstly. Secondly it must be the thought of getting older that makes people down around their birthday time. Your song choice is definitely at the opposite end of the spectrum to mine, but whatever makes you feel better is a good thing.

6/10/2007 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The power of high notes makes Mr.Do sing out of tune

2/18/2008 11:23 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous, that is true. I'm pretty bad when a song has high notes.

2/18/2008 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home