More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Monday, July 16, 2007

A Job Is Not About Making Friends

"A job is not about making friends, it's about making money, and stealing office supplies" - Hilda Suarez, Ugly Betty

Firstly, don't judge me because I watch Ugly Betty. It's corny and stupid, but it's a relaxful hour on Sunday where I can sit on the couch and not have to think at all. I swear, the hour goes by and not much thought processing goes by in my head. Then I wonder where the hour has gone and why I wasted it, but that's another story about my laziness.

On this week's episode, Betty was having problems with her work mates, who she also thinks are her friends. Her sister Hilda told her that work is not about making friends, its about making money and stealing office supplies. I have to agree on the making money and stealing office supplies part, but I think you can also make friends at work. I like to think I have made some good friends at work.

If making friends is your only purpose for working, then you are also delusional. Work is after all about making money, or the majority of us wouldn't be there everyday. If going to work and seeing your friends is the only thing that makes you happy in life, you need to get a life. But I believe that having friends at work does make work that much more palatable.

I've asked some friends at work how certain other people can go through a whole day without talking to anyone and just sit there and either really work or pretend to to work. I couldn't handle that. How boring would a job be if you didn't ever talk to anyone or don't get along with your work colleagues. That would be one of my worst scenarios. I enjoy chatting to people at work on a variety of topics and I go to different people to talk about different things. There are the electronics enthusiasts that I talk technology with, the food enthusiasts that I happily talk food with, the people who I can go to for advice and people who I talk work with. It's a nice mix of people at work and talking to them makes the day just that much more enjoyable and helps me get through another day of making a measely salary.

6 Comments:

Blogger PF said...

I think UGLY BETTY's one of the best things on TV right now - at least in Singapore, at least for me!

7/21/2007 1:40 AM  
Blogger chookie said...

i LOVE Ugly Betty!

But anyways onto the work matter - I think it's incredibly important that at the very least, you get along with your workmates. Quite a few of my workmates are what I'd term "friends". We go out after work, we make plans, we tell each other all kinds of things and it just makes the days go shorter. I think if you're going to be spending almost 40 hours at one place, people should at least try to get along if not be friends so to speak.

7/22/2007 11:53 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I've found some fellow Ugly Betty fans.

Kae, I would call quite a few people from work "friends" as well. Of course there are different levels of frienship and some aren't going to be my best friends, but I do tell them things and we do go out and do things.

I agree that even if you aren't going to be friends with people at work, you can still be professional and be nice to each other. I won't go wasting my time on people I don't care for, but I won't be rude to them, there's no need for that.

7/22/2007 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop pretending T.Do

You love Ugly Betty because she's the closest thing that's based on you in real life.

Just picture Do with those Braces.... And like Betty, T.Do has fallen in love with his boss.
Just ask George

7/23/2007 4:45 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I probably do need braces, but thats besides the point. I don't think I have fallen for my 50+ male boss. I may have fallen for Betty though, she's so cute with those braces.

7/23/2007 10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're not workig here to make friends.

well...


I expect your letter on my desk first thing Monday Morning.

7/27/2007 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home