More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Traffic Light Car Windscreen Washers

This post is a rant about traffic light car windscreen washers. Most of them are fine and I don't care that they are there trying to earn money. It's probably illegal and they're probably avoiding paying taxes on that money, but if people are willing to pay them, good luck to them.

Here is what I don't like. I don't like it when some of them keep on cleaning right up to when the light changes. If you work there all day, you must get a sense of how long the lights stay red for. Or even if you see a certain direction of cars turning or something, you know the lights will change soon and should stop. Some keep going, meaning the car they are washing cannot move. This means that every car behind them also can't move. This is extremely annoying as the windscreen washers are usually at a busy intersection where the chance to turn only lasts for a short time. You then have to wait ages for the next set of green lights.

The other thing I don't like is when they wash your windscreen anyway, even when you clearly shake your head. I'm one of those people who think that if I wanted to wash my windscreen, I would do it properly at home myself.

This is what happened to me on Hoddle street on the weekend. I stop at the lights, about the third car back. A guy with his shirt off and all these tatts starts walking around washing windscreens. The car in front of me says yes and he washes her windscreen. She hands him some money. He walks to my car. I shake my head. I have my windows slightly down so can hear him.

Windscreen Washer: C'mon, I need some money to buy Christmas presents. I need to get a Nintendo Wii.
Thanh: No thanks, I don't need my windscreen washed.
*Windscreen Washer man starts to wash my windscreen anyway. He then walks over to my window.*
WW: I really need to buy a Nintendo Wii this Christmas.
*I search through my wallet and only have 50 cents. I give it to him.* WW: Aw what, 50 cents only.
*He then walks to the next car.*

What the heck. Aw 50 cents only. I'm the one being ripped off here and pressured to pay for a service I didn't even want. This is totally ridiculous. If they are going to force people to pay for a service they don't want, then I hope the police catch them and fine them big time.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you should do is get out of the car and wash his face. Then ask for $1.00 for a PS3 for Xmas

12/11/2007 10:14 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Haha, that is an extremely good idea. I need a PS3 and that guy needed to wash his face, it was quite dirty.

12/11/2007 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stool blugger

12/12/2007 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good strategy is to get out of your own car with your own wipers and clean your own windows before they approach.

12/17/2007 9:53 AM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

This kind of dangerous "service" is not allowed in Singapore.!

In Johore, especially near the customs, yoou also have people trying to peddle their wares...newspapers, flowers, etc.
They weave in and out of traffic like a skilful weaver!

12/26/2007 12:58 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

By the way, Thanh, has James Bevan taken off his blog, "A Man Amongst Man?

12/26/2007 1:05 PM  
Blogger a l a n said...

i turn on the windscreen wipers :)

as they are wiping it

12/26/2007 5:03 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Choo, this thing is technically breaking the law since you would need a business license. But lots of people still do it and the cops probably don't bother cracking down on it.

James has stopped blogging and yes his blog does not work anymore.

Alan, doing that could get a laugh or they could get really angry and maybe do something.

Another guy did wipe my windows about a week later even though I didn't even make eye contact or shake my head this time. When he started to wipe the windscreen, I shook my head and he clearly saw but continued anyway. When he came round for the money, I shook my head and didn't wind down my windows. He then sprayed my windscreen with more washing liquid, smiled and walked away.

12/26/2007 7:37 PM  
Blogger M. said...

hahahhaha Alan that is gold.

I hate this too, Thanh. There's this one guy who is at the intersection near my office every afternoon. Once he came over and did my windscreen after my repeated attempts to tell him NOT to. I didn't give him anything, even though the most I was prepared to give him was five cents.

Next time I'll take a leaf out of Alan's book.

1/02/2008 1:38 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Mish, don't you hate it when a clear no still has them cleaning your windscreens.

If you try out Alan's technique, let me know how it goes. I might try the same too.

1/02/2008 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Police would not spend their precious resources on stuff like that unless these window washers get aggressive or cause some sort of traffic hazard.

The most they'll do if they do get "caught" is a full rectum inspection.

2/22/2008 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home