More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Monday, February 11, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance Australia

I loved the American versions of So You Think You Dance. I've taped the whole last season rewatched that so many times. I'm just so fascinated by how good the contestants are and they way they can really make me feel something through their dance. When I heard that Australia was having their own So You Think You Can Dance, I couldn't wait.

Finally the show has arrived and as good as the auditions were, now we're into the serious business. There were some bad auditions, but on the whole, the show has shown the good dancers and their stories. And some stories there are. Stories of adoption, poverty, hardship, cancer, death etc. I thought Australian Idol was dramatic with all their back stories. But it seems dance elicits even more passion. A lot of people turn to dance when there are hardships. It's just a way to express yourself. I think less people turn to music as it's much harder to write a song than just move your body according to how you feel.

In the last two episodes so far where the Top 20 have been selected, I can't believe how much crying there has been. There have been so many emotional stories and pure emotion on display, by women and men. I too have had some teary eyes listening to the story. I think the physical nature of the auditions and lack of sleep help bring out some of those emotions, as the shows producers would have wanted. But dance clearly does elicit emotion from people.

I already have some favourite dancers so early into the show. I love Demi as her story about immigrating to Australia from the Phillipines and supporting her siblings and deaf sister is so inspiring. Her dancing is also so joyful that it really captures me. Another I love is Vanessa. Her dancing is so technically beautiful that I can't help but admire it. Lastly, I have grown to love Sermsah as well. He is an Aboriginal man whose story I have really started to feel for. Initially, I thought he would be cocky but he has turned out to be so genuine and unsure of himself. His dancing has so far been the highlight as I just watch in awe at the expressiveness of it all.

I can't wait for more episodes. I can tell I'll be hooked and watching the show again and again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

It should come as no surprise that I'm also hooked! I'm impressed that in the audition week they did focus on the best dancing, rather than ridiculing people who weren't up to scratch.

2/12/2008 8:32 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Cindy, I thought you would be hooked too. If you hadn't posted this comment, I was going to shoot you and Vida an email asking if you guys were watching it.

There wasn't too much ridiculing was there? It is funny to see these totally deluded people who are terrible and think they are good, but it's better to see excellent dancing.

2/12/2008 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fat Do,

You are such a tearjerker!

How about the poor girl who had auditioned to become a dancer so she could support her family who were conned by some prick to dine at Shoya.

2/20/2008 3:42 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous, I say you should stop dressing up as a girl and auditioning and just admit that you are not a good dancer.

2/20/2008 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home