More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Will To Win

I was watching the second test between Australia and India in the cricket today. Australia was chasing their 16th consecutive test win in a row, a world record. It seemed unlikely that they were going to win, yet managed to pull it off with only an over left in play.

It's amazing how some people (and teams) have that will to win that almost seems inevitable. They create things and make it happen. It's a drive that I wish I had as that is what success is derived from. For example, if I had more drive, I would have lost the weight I wanted to already instead of saying it all the time. But that is a flaw I know that I will have. And there are many people in the same category as me. Otherwise, there would be a lot of fit everywhere. Instead, we are in a minor epidemic where most deaths in the next decade will be related to being obese in this country.

People who really have that drive to win that come to mind are Serena Williams, Roger Federer and the Australian Cricket Team. All these people just seems to be able to will themselves through tough situations and seem invincible. Even when they are down, you always feel that they can come back. It all comes from having a very strong frame of mind. Most battles are won and lost in the head, not the body.

I envy those people and wonder how it would feel like mentally to be in the state of mind that they are in. It must feel like a world where you have control over much more of your actions rather than being dictated them by everything else around you. I think it would give you a much bigger sense of ownership about your own actions and drive you to achieve even more and maintain that control. What would happen though when they started to lose that control?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah that last Test was tough... but good thing we have the umpires in our backpockets so they "Willed" us to win.

WE ARE THE GREATEST.

1/07/2008 1:13 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Yeah go Ricky. I know you and the team can win 20 in a row.

1/07/2008 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home