More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Blogs To Riches

Ok so I've become slightly obsessed with blogs lately since I just started one (shout out to Kin who was right, for now anyway, that this blog will be the death of me). Anyway, I was reading an article called Blogs To Riches about how some people were making a lot of money from blogging. However, the main point of the very long article was that A-list bloggers were creating an incest type of relationship where they were linking to each other exclusively so that small bloggers couldn't attract much traffic.

In scientific terms, this pattern is called “homeostasis”, that is, a tendency of networked systems to become self-reinforcing. In other words, the rich get richer, just like out in the real world. People who started blogging early are obviously dominant in the field and attract the most viewers. The articles says its still possible to make a popular post, but it depends on public relations. It then recounts stories of how small bloggers got huge amounts of traffic when an A-list blog linked to it. This situation is basically like your high school social group situations in my opinion. Less popular kids suck up to popular kids in the hope to get accepted by them and hence all the other kids.

There is still hope for small bloggers because content will always be king. Blogs that are going to stand out are the ones who break news and have credibility. However, just posting witty entries and hoping for traffic won’t do it, you have to actively seek out attention.

The path that blogging takes into the future will be interesting to monitor. Will the current democratic art of blogging remain that way or will the future mean professionalisation of blogging into meadia so that once again the lone person loses that voice to a larger audience.

To finish off, I think the quote by Peter Rojas, whose blogging company was sold for $25 million sums up blogging best. “Anyone can start a blog, and anyone can make it grow. ...But to keep it there? It’s f**king hard work, man. I’ve never worked so hard in my life."

6 Comments:

Blogger afrobev said...

Hi, I found your blog through my friend Princess Chloe's site and started reading and found it very interesting. You have made me realise that people take this blogging thing really seriously and you have got a valid point about A List bloggers. Smaller blogs rule.

2/26/2006 11:04 PM  
Blogger Thaozee said...

Heya. Found you from the whirlpool forums. Your name caught my eye since it's my father's name. I like your restaurent reviews since I live in Melbourne and am always on the look out for some decent food.

2/27/2006 2:59 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Afrobev, I thought your name looked familiar when you said that you are a friend of Princess Chloe. I guess once people find that they can make money from something, the hobby usually turns into a profession. And in all professions, any advantage you can get over your rivals is an advantage that will make you more money.

2/27/2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Thaozee, there are quite a few Thanhs around. I know 4 other Thanhs myself and one of them works with me. I'm guessing your father is Vietnamese? I'm Chinese but was born in Vietnam and my Chinese name actually translates to Thanh in Vietnamese.

2/27/2006 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds very interesting.

i think ill add you to my blog friends on my nav bar ;)

2/27/2006 4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

n3rds

2/28/2006 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home