More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Movie Review: Hostel

I went and watched Hostel at Chadstone tonight. Firstly contrary to the blatant misadvertising, this film is not directed by Quentin Tarantino. He only "presents" the film, whatever that means. The film is like the American version of Wolf Creek. Basically its about two American backpackers, Josh and Paxton, travelling through Europe on holiday. They meet a guy named Oli and all three travel together. The boys are basically in search of girls and hear about this great hostel in Slovakia where there are lots of girls who will do anything.

So the film takes quite a bit of time to set up to this stage. There's quite a bit of pointless story at the start and it doesn't really help to make you like the characters that much. The characters are pretty one dimensional and so is the plot. You know whats going to happen a mile away, there are not twists or anything clever at all. One of the villains is obvious and you know something is up with the two main girls.

The movie boiled down to one thing, totally gruesome toture and violence. The whole movie is scene after scene of the most horrific human toture you're likely to see. I had watched Wolf Creek and thought that was violent but this is ten times worse. However you just feel squeamish and disgusted without feeling any suspense. Therefore I don't think this really qualifies as a true horror flick. Wolf Creek did it much better as the characters were more likeable and the villain (John Jarrett, a host from play school) totally freaks you out and makes you hate him so much. It also strung out the suspense so that what would happen next was always unknow. Little clues here and there were left for the viewer to piece it all together. In Hostel, everything is in your face and you just sit and wait for the next bit of violence. The villain in this case is probably humanity itself, how can some people find such pleasure from causing physical pain to others.

Overall I would rate this movie only * 1/2 stars and say that its not my type of movie. Although Wolf Creek was also gruesome, I think that was a much better story and liked it much more. If you love gore and violence, then this film will be perfect for you. Otherwise I recommend those with weak stomachs to stay away. I was feeling a little weak in the knees when I was leaving the cinema.

Overall rating: * 1/2 out of 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home