More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Too Many Internet Accounts

So I log onto Blogger today ready to temporarily change my template back to the original one when I find that I am being forced to log into the new blogger. That's not a problem in itself, but I have to sign up to a Google account. I don't see why this is necessary since I was already using a log in to get into Blogger already.

Nowadays, to do anything on the internet, you have to sign up for yet another account and log in. I have totally lost count of how many Internet accounts I have and what sites they are for even. Sometimes I just need to get some information off a site for a one time, but yet still have to sign up for an account. An account that I can still remember for example is the Apple account. When I first bought my ipod, I had problems with it so needed advice from other users. To be able to post questions in the Apple forum, I had to sign up. Hence I posted my one and only question, got some helpful replies and have never used the account since.

Flickr is also currently going through the transition of forcing its users to log in via their yahoo accounts. A lot of people are also unhappy about this. You can read about it here.

The problem with signing up to yet another account is that there are more logins and passwords to remember. You inevitably get signed up to a million other things from that new account and get spam emails. They might also sell off your details, meaning that you might get even more spam or your details may be used in less than clean ways.

A work mate of mine says that the internet is supposed to have freed up information, but it seems to have gone the other way. Many times at work, in our research jobs, we come across articles that look useful for us, but you always have to log in to access it. Or worse still, you need to pay to read an article that you don't even know will definitely be useful for your work. Everyone it trying to make a buck from the internet, which in turns drives everything to be restricted access. Information is getting lost because people just don't have access to it.

Thats my rant for today. I wonder what other "invitations" I will be receiving from my Google account or whoever they decide to sell my information to. More opportunities to make millions on shares or possibly enhance my body parts via various pills and pumps. The opportunities are endless (sarcastic tone)!

8 Comments:

Blogger PF said...

Hi Thanh,

I think you can still sign in to the new Blogger without a Google account (although I now have). But you have to type the whole (non-Gmail) email address...

2/11/2007 7:32 PM  
Blogger chookie said...

I think we'll just have to keep expecting it - with google and yahoo trying to outdo each other (google with more advertising, yahoo with more visits), it's just the way it'll work with them buying all the little startups and then forcing people to have one or the other account :(

2/11/2007 11:01 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Alan, you can only sign in one more time with your old Blogger account. So basically you have to upgrade to Google account.

Kae, the two giants are both trying to get their users just to use their services exclusively

2/12/2007 1:33 PM  
Blogger Jonno said...

thanh you're right! At work I have an email with a reference to my work passwords in there. I think at least 20! And I want to read international news sites, but I don't want to pay a subscription!

2/12/2007 10:00 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

interesting blog! I mentioned you today.. take care:)

2/13/2007 2:24 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Jonno, I totally understand you. I have started to compile a document with all my accounts and passwords.

I want to listen to international radio but refuse to pay for subscription too. It should just be free.

East of Oregon, thanks for reading my blog. Hope you come back and visit again.

2/13/2007 7:35 PM  
Blogger afrobev said...

Yep I totally agree with you Thanh. I had taken a two week break from blogging and I came back and was forced into a new google account before I could proceed. It's getting silly.

2/13/2007 10:08 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Hey glad to see you're back to blogging. I missed reading your blog. I was just about to leave a comment on your blog today saying I missed it and when you were going to write some more. But then I thought I should let you sort out your own thoughts first.

2/13/2007 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home