More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Great Ocean Road - The Twelve Apostles

We went on a road trip down the Great Ocean Road, with our prime destination being the Twelve Apostles but with the intention to make lots of stops along the way. We started off the journey from Melbourne and went via Geelong before lunch time. There were lots of "Go Cats" signs as Geelong had just won their preliminary finals match the previous night. We didn't stop as we wanted to get some more distance on board first.

Our first stop was at Torquay to grab some lunch. A couple of us also sneaked in some quick shopping at the various surf shops. After that, we stopped at Bells Beach to view the world famous surf beach. The waves were crashing quite often and there were lots of surfers out in the waves doing their stuff.

After watching the surfers a bit, it was back onto the road. The next stop was at Aireys Inlet, where we saw the lighthouse. We were just commenting how the lighthouse looked familar, like from a movie or something. I chimed in that it looked like the "Round the Twist" TV show lighthouse. Little did we know that it was indeed the lighthouse from Mad Max and Round the Twist.

Here I am at the base of the lighthouse to give a comparison of the size of it.

After Aireys Inlet it was onto the winding stretch of the Great Ocean Road. Upon reading the history of the Great Ocean Road and being totally amazed at all the work it took to build it, we passed this inconspicous paddock. What made us stop was that it looked out of place with the rest of the scenery and reminded everyone more of Austrian Hills, with the obvious link that we all immediately thought of being "The Sound of Music". Hence we got out of the car and did our "Doe, a dear, a female deer" and "The hills are alive with the sound of music" singing and twirled ourselves around a bit.

We finally reached the Twelve Apostles just as the visitor centre was closing. Not to worry, we walked across the underground tunnel towards the viewing areas for the Twelve Apostles. Here we are taking a short break. From left is Paul, Valerie, me, Sharon and Queenie at the front.

The Apostles are definitely a wonderful sight and a demonstration of how water is such a powerful eroding force. I think currently there are only 9 Apostles still standing, with one falling down earlier this year.

Valerie and I are patting the Apostles for some good luck.

Finally, we waited until the sunset and watched in amazement at the wonderful sight. Truly beautiful and picture perfect.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You looked mighty uncomfortable with Hii's friends there Mr. Do

Girl germs is just a misconception from the past.

So lighten up!!!

9/25/2007 1:18 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

It wasn't the germs, it was my ears that hurt. :-)

9/25/2007 5:15 PM  
Blogger S said...

Aw... i didn't know we were that bad.... :(

9/27/2007 8:17 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Sharon, hehehe it wasn't all bad. It was good for most parts, except when I really wanted to sleep and someone kept poking me and making me wake up. I needed some silence then so that I could truly relax.

So are you back in Brunei now? I'll have to send over the photos soon.

9/27/2007 11:24 PM  
Blogger S said...

ah... ok... fair enough... how did the shaggy song go? 'it wasn't me!' yes... am back in brunei now. waiting for them photoes.

9/28/2007 12:22 AM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

I love the 12 Apostles! Great landscape!

9/28/2007 10:44 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

It's a great view isn't it Choo? Watching the sunset behind the Apostles was just beautiful.

9/28/2007 7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to be a bit off topic here, but does anyone here like scat?

3/03/2008 12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home