More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

People Can Change

It's not easy for humans to change totally from who they are, but we can all make small changes for the better. It doesn't just happen immediately, but it does happen (sounds like a Pantene shampoo ad eh?). Today I had made arrangements to eat lunch with my work friend. I walked past his desk at the arranged time and could see that he was still talking to his boss. I indicated with a head flick that it was time for lunch. He saw me but didn't acknowledge my head flick. Hence, I walked downstairs to talk to a few other people while I waited.

Had this been a year ago, or even 6 months ago, I would be standing there waiting quite a while. Or the other outcome might have been that he would have said that he couldn't come for lunch. Had it been a year ago, I would have totally furious by now and stormed off. Instead, I did not get upset at all and stood around talking to others while waiting. To my pleasant surprise, he came down about 3 minutes later and we went to lunch. How things have changed.

In the past year, I have learnt to be more tolerant of others and accept that they can't always just drop everything like I can and therefore I should not get upset about it. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and even if it turns out not going as I plan, I just get on with it and not upset myself over nothing. My friend has also learnt that he doesn't have to be so worried about what his boss thinks. He is entitled to go to lunch and not worry about working all day long. The fact that he was able to get out of that conversation was a massive improvement on the past. Previously, he might have stayed there talking for another half an hour even though he doesn't want to. I have witnessed that personally and have gotten mad about waiting there for him.

It just shows that we can all make changes for the better. When someone brings up something that they think is wrong with you, take the criticism constructively and think about whether it is true. If it is, you can occasionally consciously think about it and it will cause you to modify your behaviour for the better.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Ah, so true. We all have things about ourselves that we could, or should, change.

That's fantastic that you've seen something you need or want to change about yourself, and then put the effort in to do it. Big congratulations on that.

I've been on a slow journey for the past decade, and still have a long way to go. But I'm getting there. It's my high school 10 year reunion this year, I'm wondering if any of my old friends will see the difference.

8/28/2007 8:21 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anna, I'm happy about the change in myself too. It definitely isn't easy and you have to consciously tell yourself to act another way. Soon hopefully it will become habit.

If you see your old friends, they would be the people to notice since they haven't seen you for a long time and remember you a certain way. It's harder to notice changes in those around us but you do eventually notice if they consistently do something differently.

8/28/2007 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are bragging about how you've changed as a person now eh???

Oprah would love for you to go on her show. Look!! under your seats you'll find Do's new book EAT YOUR TROUBLES AWAY!!!

8/29/2007 5:13 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Doctor Phil, I am not bragging at all, just happy that I noticed how I was able to not get mad.

That sounds like a good book title. I might use it one day when I write a book.

8/29/2007 10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've haven't changed Thanh Do.
You're still the fat mean old chubber from 1st year

8/31/2007 11:23 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Girl, you're still a silly uncoordinated obsessive compulsive guy, I mean girl.

8/31/2007 12:14 PM  
Blogger The Oriental Express said...

As long as a man is still breathing, there is hope that he can change. God is not finished with him yet. :-)

8/31/2007 1:32 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Choo, what about women, do they need to change too.

You remind me of a slightly sexist joke. Here it goes

"A man marries a woman hoping that she will never change, but eventually she always will. A woman marries a man thinking that she can change him, but of course she never can."

8/31/2007 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home