More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Caught Up In Complacency

Complacency - a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like; self-satisfaction or smug satisfaction with an existing situation, condition, etc.

Apparently I have become too complacent and self satisfied with my blog readership and have not been delivering enough good material. So to satisfy my Number 1 Fan (see comments), I will attempt to write an insightful post about being complacent.

A good friend rang me yesterday at lunch time to tell me that he found a new job. I was very happy for him. When he told me that he also got a huge increase in pay, I was even happier. However, this did make me assess my own situation, and I came to realise that I have become so complacent with my job, I didn't see the work train leave right before me.

When I first started working, I promised myself that I would never become complacent at a job. While I was working, I was constantly on the lookout for better work opportunities. It didn't mean that I would apply for those jobs, but it did keep me informed out what was happening in the work force and what the pay was like. When my job started to look like it wasn't going to go anywhere, I was strong enough to demand change or I would quit. As things turned out, I found a better role within the company after being offered yet another role. However, I have now been in the same position for two years and things have not changed, or look to change too much.

The job is pretty good as jobs go, but I don't see too much potential to move up in the corporate world. I had become too relaxed in the job and with that meant my own promise to not become complacent had occurred without me knowing. I used to always think about how I can improve myself but now I just go to work each day and work through another day.

This call from my friend has reminded me that there are plenty of opportunities out there and I just have to believe in myself. My friend didn't have any experience in regards to this new job, but yet he was able to get it. He had already been to 5 other interviews, so must have applied to 10 times more jobs. He graduated the same time and me and despite joining the work force later, he has gone ahead in leaps and bounds. That is because he is willing to take a chance and try something else when things are looking stagnant.

I have given myself another two more weeks to see what the outcomes of the performance reviews are. If it turns out that I don't get a pay rise, I will definitely need to start researching the market again. Only then can I keep challenging myself to do better and work towards an early retirement.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Mr. Do.

GO OUT AND TEST THE MARKET.

I did. Even though I took a step in the pay it was the sacrafise that I was willing to make in order to pursue path that I prefer.

You are just too stuck in your COMFORT ZONE that you don't with to take the chance. OR maybe just maybe you don't want to leave the company you are in now because of that girl who talks on the phone all day.

I heard her father will marry her off to you for 3 MP4 players!!

8/01/2007 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BASTARD GUY!!

8/01/2007 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home