More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance Australia - Top 10 Live Show

The first episode of the live dance performances for So You Think You Can Dance Australia has just finished. I thought I would track the whole season of this show and give my opinions on each live show. I probably won't be so meticulous in giving the nuts and bolts of what dance they did but rather just what I felt about them. I will rate each couple out of 10, taking into account the overall routine and whether it caught my attention (out of 5), their dance technique (out of 2) and finally, the important likeability factor (out of 3).

Rhiannon and J.D
Rhiannon may be young but I think she exudes a sensualness way beyond her years. Her moves in the hip hop was sharp and very strong. J.D on the other hand, exudes a calm relaxed feeling in everything he does. He was much smoother in his hip hop style. I don't know if I fully believe the chemistry between them yet but it was a good start.
Routine: 3.5/5
Technique: 1/2
Likeability: 1.5/3
Overall: 6/10

Courtney and Hilton
I must be missing the judges are seeing. To me, I don't see Courtney as the best dancer. So far, nothing she has done has really caught me. Her whole crying episode didn't move me either. I just don't think she is that genuine. It's strange why I think that, but it's just my gut reaction. Similarly with Hilton, his story is very dramatic with his parents working at the dance studio to help fund his dancing, but it too hasn't caught me. Hence, I watched their routine with biased views already. I can't help that, it's just how I felt. Hilton's technique was very good throughout the routine and I think he shone more than Courtney.
Routine: 1.5/5
Technique: 1.5/2
Likeability: 1/3
Overall: 4/10

Vanessa and Jack
Vanessa and Jack are already one of my favourite couples. Call me Asian but I can't help liking Vanessa's shy little girl personality. Henry I've also liked from the audition stage because he is really strong in his dancing. The Salsa they did was full of tricks and highly entertaining. Vanessa did really well in adapting to the style but I agreed with the judges that she could have been a bit sharper and stronger.
Routine: 4/5
Technique: 1/2
Likeability: 2/3
Overall: 7/10

Camilla and Sermsah
Sermsah is one of my favourite dancers in this series. His humility is just hard to dislike. Camilla, I haven't really warmed to, but after tonight, I do like her more. Her encouraging words about fully trusting Sermsah shows she is a great team player. Their jazz piece was entertaining but obviously, Sermsah's technique wasn't perfect. He also missed a big lift, which spoilt the routine a bit.
Routine: 2.5/5
Technique: 1/2
Likeability: 2/3
Overall: 5.5/10

Jemma and Rhys
The surprise packet of the night for me was Rhys and Jemma. We've seen a lot about Rhys during the audition stages, but not much about Jemma. Tonight, she proved what a great dancer she is. Their routine was the best of the night for me. It was such a graceful and emotive Waltz. Rhys showed that he could dance smooth and strong and not camp things up when needed. Jemma flowed like water across the stage.
Routine: 4.5/5
Technique: 1.5/2
Likeability: 2.5/3
Overall: 8.5/10

Laura and Anthony
Anothony is a very likeable person. He seems ultra genuine and a bit of a geek actually. When he found out he got into the Top 20, you could see the childish excitement in him. Laura, I haven't formed an opinion on so far. Their routine tonight was a bit disjointed. I didn't really think they danced together. The tricks from Anthony were strong, but I did feel they connected.
Routine: 3/5
Technique: 1/2
Likeability: 1.5/3
Overall: 5.5/10

Stephanie and Marko
Something about Stephanie just rubs me the wrong way. I think she is fairly arrogant. When she first auditioned with Henry and he got in and she didn't, outside in the interview area, she wasn't gracious at all. The judges thought that Marko was one of the best male dancers in the show. I don't agree with them and thought their jive was all over the place. Marko's kicks were weak and they definitely had synchronisation issues. Even my untrained eyes spotted that during the routine.
Routine: 2/5
Technique: 1/2
Likeability: 1/3
Overall: 4/10

Kate and Khaly
Kate's probably been one of the least featured dancers on the show. Her story though is just as inspiring as any of the other dancers. I thought her routine with Khaly was slightly muted. Despite Khaly's tricks, they didn't really gel together and it made the performance a bit lacking for me. I do agree with the judges that Kate's technique is wonderful.
Routine: 2.5/5
Technique: 1/2
Likeability: 2/3
Overall: 5.5/10

Demi and Jack
My favourite couple currently on the show is definitely Demi and Jack. They both exude so much joy and fun it's so contagious. Demi is just so down to Earth and humble. Her comments when Bonnie addressed her was so funny because it was so natural and innocent. Combined with the equally relaxed and funny Jack, they are just pure entertainment. Their bogaloo (or however that is spelt) routine was so funky that I was right into it. The judges were spot on about the chemistry between them. You could definitely see them laughing and smiling at each other and they makes the routine so much better.
Routine: 4/5
Technique: 2/2
Likeability: 3/3
Overall: 9/10

Kassy and Graeme
Kassy definitely has a lot of dance experience and it showed in her routine with Graeme. However, I haven't warmed to her at all. Graeme seems like a nice guy but again, I haven't warmed to him either. Their routine was good, but I think Kassy clearly outshone Graeme. Graeme's facial expression seemed over the top. Also, his technique was not as good as Kassy's. Her lines were flowing and each moved was finished right to the fingertips. I might not like her as much as some of the other dancers, but I definitely respect how good a dancer she is.
Routine: 3.5/5
Technique: 1.5/2
Likeability: 1.5/3
Overall: 6.5/10

So, these are my biased couch coach opinions of how each couple went. Obviously, likeability is something that will be hard for the couples to change for me, but it can happen. The dance routines will vary so much week to week depending on what styles they get. However, the cream will rise to the top and the good couples will consistently perform any style better.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey. my name is stacey. i was at youth last night and didn't end up being able to see anyone dance!! all i caught was the thing at the end with phone numbers and all. and i totally want to rhys and jemma's performance. it looked truly beautiful. can i please get you to email me and tell me if you know how i can get a copy of the dance. it's not on youtube or anything like that, which is quite annoying! lol. write to me at: staceyanne1990 at hotmail.com hope to hear from you. God bless.

2/18/2008 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched a bit of it last night. Fairly good show still not comparable to the US one.

Two things that I have to critise.

1. I just f**kcing hate it when the contestants do that stupid pretend to dial the numbe, hand shaped like a phone guesture whenever they voting number is announced. It's shit like that which makes me wanna vote against them with that frakkin 10 digits.

2. Who the hell made that over-rated singer/ overacted soap actress the host of the show. cat Deeley anyday!!! She can't even say "LET'S WELCOME OUR JOODGERS!!!.
An obvious lack of talent in Australia. Looks like we need to get imported talent or something.

2/18/2008 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they competed against the US, they'll be slaughtered. All the Aussies talent have are half baked routines performed by stinky torres straight islanders

2/18/2008 1:16 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Stacey, you should be able to catch the video clips from the offical website at http://ten.com.au/dance/

Anonymous, I agree with you on both counts. It seemed so silly when the couples were doing that dialing thing. I was wishing one couple at least wouldn't do it, but alas, they all did.

Natalie isn't a good host, well at least so far. She isn't as natural and warm as Cat is. It just feels all wrong.

Anonymous, I think the US and Aussie dancers would be comparable.

2/18/2008 6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, I hate all of the judges on dance YEAH? There comments to these last remaining judges are questionable YEAH? They seem to critique certain dancers on style yet another couple dancing same style yet lacking get praise YEAH? Im sick of them YEAH? I would like to see them (all 3 of em) up there doin there thang YEAH? YEAH? Oh an quit the oh so cool YEAH YEAH YEAH thing you DIKS...!!! F@#*k OFF I'm turning the sound off an just watchin the dance...YEAH!!

4/06/2008 11:02 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous, I have to agree that none of the judges are great, YEAH. That thing he does is annoying, as well as totally hogging the limelight for his 15 minutes monologue. I like the American host and judges so much more. YEAH!!!!!!!!!

4/07/2008 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home