More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cognitive Dissonance

I love reading aobut psychological experiements, and this one about Cognitive Dissonance is very interesting. Cognitive Dissonance, which I had heard of the term before but never understood, is when you try to reconcile two contradicting thoughts by lieing to yourself.

We all do this, but just to varying degrees for different situations. Sometimes you will rationalise to yourself that it's ok to do something since everyone else is doing despite clearly knowing that it's wrong. You may also convince yourself something is a great buy despite clearly knowing it's not because you don't want to look like a fool to your friends. The list goes in.

This particular experiment is interesting because it was performed on psychology students who thought they were just doing something as part of the course.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another short and relatively pointless entry Mr. Do

Come on!! Step up your game. Dr. Lithgow yawning here!!

10/26/2007 11:11 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous, unfortunately not all of us find spruiking pills the only interesting thing. Some of us like to read about interesting experiments in social behaviour.

10/26/2007 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home