More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Friday, October 12, 2007

The Power of Music 2 - Cebu Inmates

In a follow up to my first post about the power of music in regards to my own moods, this post is about the inmates at Cebu prison and how music and dance has helped reform them.

I saw a story on Dateline about the inmates. I had heard about their now famous Thriller video on the internet previously already so wanted to hear about the story behind the dance. First watch the video if you haven't seen it already.

The new prison overseer Byron Garcia started to introduce music and dance to the prison after he saw some inmates marching and thought that music would enhance it even more. He also thought it would give them something to do and hence reduce the violence. How right he was to be.

Byron has implemented numerous strategies to totally reform the inmates. He put in place new prison guards who weren't corrupt, stop the drugs being smuggled in, appointed leaders within the prisoners but the best move was to get the prisoners to do coordinated dances each day.

The prisoners actually enjoy the dancing and music and it gives them something to do. They are even seen in security camera footage rehearsing for it. The power of music and dance has changed the attitudes of the prisoners towards each other, working together rather than fighting. The violence has disappeared from the prison and now the prisoners actually feel proud that so many people out there like what they do.

I think this example just shows how powerful music and dance can have on people. Here are hardened criminals who have softened considerably due to enjoying themselves. You can't help but feel happy when you listen to a good song and dance along with it. It's just so enjoyable, which is why I listen to music all the time. I hope that if the prisoners get out of jail, they maintain their current outlook and continue to listen to music and dance. It will keep them happier and hopefully reform them for life.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tan, At first glance that video looks very queer and surreal.

But the Filipino people are pretty unreal when it comes to music or dance. Just fire up a Karaoke box in any Filipino village and watch half the population arrive to participate!

Many of the best "cover" bands in the world are Filipino. They're diligent and they're perfectionists.

(p.s. My wife says she can't dance, but that's just shyness - I know it's in her blood)

Tech

10/13/2007 11:51 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Tech, the Filipion people sound like my type of people. I love to karaoke as well.

I've heard that their cover bands are very good. Especially when you're sipping an alcoholic drink at a bar watching the sunset right?

THANH

10/14/2007 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home