More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Different Person, Different Expectations

I've learnt in the past few years that you can't apply the same expectations to everyone. I used to apply my own standards onto others, and if they didn't live up to that then they would disappoint me. I found this to be the wrong approach, as everyone is different and does things their own way.

Hence I have learnt that you have to develop different levels of expectations of others in order to not be disappointed all the time. For some people, if they say they will do this, then I can trust that they will try their best to do it. For others, I will only half believe them, so if it happens that I will be happily surprised. If it doesn't happen, then I'm not too disappointed.

This type of grading seems very unfair on people who usually live up to their words right? Their expectation levels are much higher. But that's the point, they only become that reliable from their past record. That's just the type of people they are, the ones you can turn to to do something if they say they will.

In general, your good friends will be the most dependable people, for you anyway. They might not be dependable for others, but I think you wouldn't stay good friends with them if they keep disappointing you constantly.

4 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Someone once told me, that if you have no expectation then you won't be disappointed. i think this person is right and everyday i am trying to work on not expecting thing, cause the moment i don't and if something postive comes along it is a bonus....

10/08/2007 12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't expect, just hope ...

10/08/2007 12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is poofie!!

10/08/2007 8:20 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Sharon, I can sort of agree with that saying. If you never expect anything, you'll never get the excited feeling of anticipation either and you will miss out on that. You need to have certain levels of expectations that aren't too high from others.

pH, I'm hoping for a PS3 for Christmas hehehe.

Anonymous, as usual, your comments are direct and to the point of what you think. They are crude still.

10/08/2007 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home