More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance Australia - Top 6 Live Show

This weeks show really hotted up, both in terms of the dance routines and the interaction between the couples. There was so much stroking, touching and suggestive actions in the routines this week. I stand by my summation last week that some clear favourites are emerging. Demi and Jack are neck and neck with Rhys and Jemma for me at the moment. Those two couples have been consistently good in every routine they have done.
Previous posts about the shows are here
Top 10 Live Show
Top 10 Verdict Show

Top 9 Live Show
Top 9 Verdict Show

Top 8 Live Show
Top 8 Verdict Show

Top 7 Live Show
Top 7 Verdict Show

Kate and Graeme
Suprise Challenge
Kate and Graeme's self choreographed dance to Pump It by the Black Eyed Peas was very high energy and entertaining. I actually thought this dance was better than the one they were given.

Kate and Graeme did a jazz routine, which is in Kate's field. In terms of the dancing, I thought it was good. To find out that the live dance was the first time Kate had done that routine fully was amazing. It shows how good she is technically as a dancer. As for the whole dance, I didn't really understand it. The costume and song and moves didn't work that well together for me.
Routine: 3.5/5
Technique: 1.5/2
Likeability: 2.5/3
Overall: 7.5/10

Vanessa and Henry
Suprise Challenge
For the suprise challenge, Vaness and Henry chose Black and White from Michael Jackson. Their dance didn't reflect the lyrics but I don't a routine always has to reflect what the lyrics are saying. They had a story in their routine and the music was there to support that other story. I thought they did really great.

Vanessa and Henry did capoeira this week. I've seen this type of "dancing" before and it can be good. But it tends to be a bit stop start and is usually accompanied by drums and shakers rather than music. I think Vanessa and Henry did a good job in terms of performing the routine but I didn't really like the routine either. It didn't flow too well but that isn't their fault. The backwards lift was very spectacular.
Routine: 3/5
Technique: 1.5/2
Likeability: 3/3
Overall: 7.5/10

Camilla and Anthony
Surprise Challenge
The new pairing of Camilla and Anthony did a boxing dance routine to Kanye West's Stronger. I think the idea was good and most of the execution was good. But there were a bit of dead spots in the routine.

Camilla and Anthony were doing a lambada this week. The routine was fun enough and would have been great if it was a samba. The technique was ok, but I agree with Jason and was asking myself the same thing about the dance throughout, where is the sex. The lambada is suppose to be the dance of love and this dance just didn't have that feel.
Routine: 3.5/5
Technique: 1.5/2
Likeability: 2/3
Overall: 7/10

Jemma and Rhys
Surprise Challenge
Jemma and Rhys did a routine to Pony by Ginuwine. The were like horses and I really liked it. It was fun and entertaining. These two have not put a step wrong all competition.

Jemma and Rhys did a musical theatre number for their main routine. I think this dance was the best of the night. They were thoroughly entertaining and worked the crowd well with their theatricality. Rhys showed great technique and Jemma has shown how well she is adapting. I think they are the clear favourites in the show now, such is their high standards.
Routine: 4.5/5
Technique: 1.5/2
Likeability: 3/3
Overall: 9/10

Rhiannon and JD
Surprise Challenge
Rhiannon and JDs routine to Big Girls by Mika was very obvious. The idea of having Rhiannon in a fat suit didn't work for me.

Rhiannon and JDs hip hop routine was understated like the judges said. I think it work fairly well, but either needed to be a bit stronger or have a few more big moments for it to translate through to us watching at home. I liked JDs laid back style in this.
Routine: 3.5/5
Technique: 1.5/2
Likeability: 1.5/3
Overall: 6.5/10

Demi and Jack
Surprise Challenge
Demi and Jack's routine to Crazy In Love by Beyonce was entertaining but needed a bit more. Beyonce has such a stage presence when she sings this song and just exudes attitude. They needed a bit more attitude to have made the song work.

Demi and Jack's contemporary routine was not the usual soft emotion charged routine. Theirs was like a normal contemporary routine on drugs. It was hardcore and fulls of lifts and flips. I think they both handled themselves really well and put everything into it.
Routine: 3.5/5
Technique: 1.5/2
Likeability: 3/3
Overall: 8/10

Unlike last week, there wasn't any truly excellent routine. However, having the contestants choreographed their own routine has been interesting. Although the show is not about who is the best choreographer, it does show which of them could keep evolving and one day choreograph their own routines. As I said, I think Jemma and Rhys musical theatre routine was the best of the night.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great review of everything, and I'm hoping Vanessa and Henry will go far! Just wanted to ask that if you pay this much attention to the show, if you know all the songs that are played throughout? I know I've heard the song used in Graeme's dance for your life, but I don't know what its called... Can you help?

3/18/2008 7:05 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for the compliment, I will try to keep it up.

I know quite a few of the songs but definitely not all. I don't know why they don't put up the song title and artist like in the American version of the show.

The song for Graeme's dance for your life is by Katie Noonan or George. I definitely recognise her voice. But as for the song title, I'm not sure. Maybe now that you know it is Katie Noonan, you can remember the song and tell me what it is.

3/18/2008 8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the clues to the elusive song. After sluething around, I think it might actually be 'Breathe in Now' by either Katie Noonan or George. Whoot whoot, thanks again for the help!

3/24/2008 10:24 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous, I'm glad I could help. But I'm afraid you might need to do more sluething. I'm familiar with Breathe in Now by George and it definitely is not that song. This song is one of George or Katie's more obscure unreleased songs as I have never heard it before.

3/25/2008 6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there
I was just wondering if you new the name of the song or artist of Rhiannons last solo dance before it was announced that she had been voted off?
Thanx

4/18/2008 2:42 PM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Anonymous, sorry, not sure what that song is. You can try the forums at the Channel Ten official website, someone might know. If I had to guess, it sounds something like what Janet Jackson would do.

4/18/2008 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home